Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

best course

Options
  • 30-08-2015 3:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 33

hi all, currently a LC student and looking to study accountancy in the future. I'm looking at NUIGs Commerce(Accounting) and DCUs Accounting and Finance also I may consider NUIM.
    any advice on which course is best would be so helpful!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

IT Tallaght Business and Accounting Degree is held in very high regard. And I can tell you first hand, that it covered way more than some of the other universities out there. I am talking about fringe stuff here like MS Office and general business development topics etc.

If you want a short route to examptions, look at the NCI 3 year degree. It covers a lot less than Tallaght, but the exemptions come a year sooner (2 of them if ACCA).

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

gonko wrote: »
    IT Tallaght Business and Accounting Degree is held in very high regard. And I can tell you first hand, that it covered way more than some of the other universities out there. I am talking about fringe stuff here like MS Office and general business development topics etc.

If you want a short route to examptions, look at the NCI 3 year degree. It covers a lot less than Tallaght, but the exemptions come a year sooner (2 of them if ACCA).

Thank you so much for your reply, however as I live in the west of ireland if I was going to Dublin it would probably be to be one of the larger colleges.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Audit4Lyf

lalabear53 wrote: »
    hi all, currently a LC student and looking to study accountancy in the future. I'm looking at NUIGs Commerce(Accounting) and DCUs Accounting and Finance also I may consider NUIM.
    any advice on which course is best would be so helpful!

All these courses are held in high regard by the Big 4 and securing a job in accountancy with anyone of these degrees is relatively easy.

If you've your mind made up to do accountancy, I will say it wouldn't make any difference what you choose.

If you want my personal opinion though, I say go with NUI Galway.

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭jonnybravo

I think of those three DCU and Galway are more established with Maynooth's accounting course only established in the last 10 years. If you got into any of those three though and got a good degree result you won't have any problems getting a job in Big 4.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

I'd put down:

1) U.C.D commerce
    2) Accounting and Finance DCU
    3) Finance UCD
    4) NUIG Acc
    5) UL law and acc
    6) UL BS (accounting and finance)
    7) NUIG Commerce

If you're going to end up in Dublin in a big 4 firm you may as well bite the bullet. The fact of the matter is that these Dublin universities are held in higher regard by big 4, mostly because the majority of the managers, etc, have gone to uni in Dublin. No one told me this when I was in school but I wish they had. In saying that, you can still get a job in big 4 from rural colleges but you would have one foot in the door coming from a dub uni. Of course you may decide you don't want to work in big 4 and if that is the case you can choose to go anywhere you want.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

Thank you all so much for giving me such a great insight, any help is greatly appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Mark_23

Current graduate from DIT and for a 3 year course it's great. A lot of my class-mates were straight into Top 4 from second year also.

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭gonko

AND research the BIG4 as much as you can. Both a blessing and a curse. Personally was not for me. I did secure an interview with EY before, but I am currently in industry, and I have yet to meet an accountant that can easily say they enjoyed their audit time.

The big4 will work you to the bone, and personally in my opinion, the little prestige of having a big4 name on your CV, versus having a life, needs major consideration.

Advertisement