Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Memo written at work

Options
  • 30-08-2015 12:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Memo

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Sure you can refuse to sign and all that will happen is that your manager will read it to you with two witnesses and have it written on it that you had it read to you but refused to sign it with the two witnesses signing it to confirm and it goes into your file and flag you as a troublemaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Why? Do you disagree with the content or the timing?

Ask HR for what the company procedure is for handling such issues.
    I'm sure you will be entitled to forward your point and to have a hearing to discuss it.

If you are a member of a union then certainly ask them for advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Caro22

Why? Do you disagree with the content or the timing?

Ask HR for what the company procedure is for handling such issues.
    I'm sure you will be entitled to forward your point and to have a hearing to discuss it.

If you are a member of a union then certainly ask them for advice.

Both but specially the timing, that was more than 3 months ago and also imagine if every worker gets memos for not beeing helful, I thought what I told the customer was the right thing to do, it did not deserve a memo, my boss always screws over every staff somehow so I just do not want that happens to me aswell.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Caro22 wrote: »
    Both but specially the timing, that was more than 3 months ago and also imagine if every worker gets memos for not beeing helful, I thought what I told the customer was the right thing to do, it did not deserve a memo, my boss always screws over every staff somehow so I just do not want that happens to me aswell.

As I mentioned on my first post, I would ask HR for the procedure and if you are still unhappy then ask them to explain the delay in you receiving the memo.

In any discussions with HR, your boss or other company officials I would not mention "my boss always screws over every staff somehow". That is an opinion rather than fact and will distract from your core complaint which is relating to the memo.

I would write down everything you remember in relation to the incident so that if it does end up in a meeting of some kind that you have a clear list of the event and the order/timeframe in which anything relating to it has happened since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,260 ✭✭✭Irish_Elect_Eng

Nody wrote: »
    Sure you can refuse to sign and all that will happen is that your manager will read it to you with two witnesses and have it written on it that you had it read to you but refused to sign it with the two witnesses signing it to confirm and it goes into your file and flag you as a troublemaker.

This is good advice.

While I feel that you believe that you have been wronged.....

Challenge the memo and embarrass your boss in front of HR and you are likely to have much longer workplace issues that if you simply accept the feedback.

By all means discuss the memo with your boss 1:1 and challenge his decision. But I would advise avoiding making a major issue of this as I doubt that it would be in your interest in the long run.

Pick your battles.

• Advertisement
Advertisement