Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Roads that fill your battery!

Options
  • 29-08-2015 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭

Take a look at this pilot scheme for the UK. A charging lane, using induction.
    http://www.snapmunk.com/uk-to-build-roads-that-charge-evs/

How convenient would that be... Running low, zip into the charge lane until you get to the fast charger.

Comments

I'm not sure whether I think this is a good idea or not ? for the current Gen electrics maybe but for the 150-200 mile electrics I think all the money going into this induction lanes would be far better spent on fast chargers ? I'd imagine fast chargers wouldn't be as expensive to maintain ?

I think for commercial use it would be a great idea because currently there are not many plans if any at all to electrify many commercial vehicles ? all those dirty diesels spewing out carcinogenic emissions and not to mention what it does for the environment. It would be great to see a lot of diesel vans off the road.

It would probably be a long time before we see HGV's replaced with electric and this is probably the only instance I could ever see hydrogen become useful, as long as the fuel is generated from Nuclear or renewable sources I'd be all for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

this is an excellent solution IMO, massive energy savings to be made

you could even have buses use the system

nokia69 wrote: »

this is an excellent solution IMO, massive energy savings to be made

you could even have buses use the system

The idea is certainly good the only problem that I can plainly see is the cables and poles looks a bloody eye sore. I seriously wouldn't want to live next nor near it.

IMO the induction lanes are a far better idea.

I know in China they have a lot of electric buses and they stop at certain stops and the arm lifts up and connects to the cables in the same way I think this is more than achievable in Ireland but Dublin bus are not even considering electric buses. I would say the thought hasn't registered in any of their brains what so ever.

Dublin is perfectly suitable for electric buses and it might get some stinking diesels off the road. They got a new fleet of Diesels recently. Same O'l same O'l. Nothing changes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,050 ✭✭✭nokia69

IMO the induction lanes far less are a far better idea.

but cost is a problem, if you were building the road from scratch then maybe induction lanes are better, but at this point the cost difference must be massive, most countries in Europe are finished building their motorway networks so I don't think they will ever build induction roadways

I think many of the electric buses in china use capacitors not batteries, but BYD build some OK battery buses

Electric buses will take off, there are a few in London and some other places but no one has really done the job right, we need a Tesla of electric buses, double deckers would be make perfect EVs, in this case the weight of batteries in the floor are a good thing, the MPG is so low and the emissions so high that it makes perfect sense to go electric

its only a matter of time

Electric buses won't happen in Ireland for 10 years + I would say, there's not even the slightest hit of it. Ireland can't get past the Diesel madness !

Induction lanes would be expensive but there's no way i would want all those ugly cables and poles all over the place, it's just terrible.
    I would much rather see hydrogen trucks and buses only if they produce the fuel by Nuclear or Renewable. For cars there is no need once batteries reach 150-200 miles range. When batteries are that good there is no reason they can't work in buses for City/ Town use.

All the talk of having xxxx amount of electric cars on the road by xxxx but no mention of commercial vehicles.

Here's the video I was looking for .

Why can't we do this in Ireland ? no reason only too many backward politicians with no forward thinking !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,020 ✭✭✭Coles

Or what about having no batteries and the buses just get use the electric current directly?

Oh wait. That's an electric Tram system and we had that 100 years ago.

Coles wrote: »
    Or what about having no batteries and the buses just get use the electric current directly?

Oh wait. That's an electric Tram system and we had that 100 years ago.

Yeah imagine that !

Dublin's public transport is a disgrace, the Dart is fine but the Luas is useless, it's too slow and has to stop for traffic !

Dublin needs an Underground system, just do it and pay it off over 50 years and stop burring our heads in the sand. The population is growing not shrinking.

Not just the city but the industrial areas also need public transport, currently the only way in or out of most of them is road.

Advertisement