Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rathmines college PLC / fetac

Options
  • 29-08-2015 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi guys, so I did do really well in my leaving cert but didn't manage to get the points I want to study journalism in DCU. I finished school a year early so I thought I might do a PLC in order to gain entry the following year. Has anyone studied Journalism and public relations in Rathmines before? If so any advice / tips would be really appreciated. Thank you

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Doing a PLC doesn't imply automatic entry next year. You are competing for a much smaller number of places going the FETAC entry route, so arguably, it is more difficult than going the Leaving Cert. route. Be aware of that and be absolutely sure your Rathmines course will allow you to apply for the DCU course. Check all the codes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

spurious wrote: »
    Doing a PLC doesn't imply automatic entry next year. You are competing for a much smaller number of places going the FETAC entry route, so arguably, it is more difficult than going the Leaving Cert. route. Be aware of that and be absolutely sure your Rathmines course will allow you to apply for the DCU course. Check all the codes.

Neither does wanting to do a PLC mean you will get a place on one... :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Hmmmjojo wrote: »
    Hehe , I'll back you on that one ;-)

I wish you well...really.

It's just that in most cases there have already been two rounds of interviews, and most of the places probably have been allocated. People only coming in now for interview are, in my college at least, put at the end of the list after those on the waiting list from before the summer. Apart from a couple of courses, we are basically interviewing for a waiting list.

On the other hand, a lot of interviewees didn't show up for interviews on Friday; we reckon it had to do with the second round of offers for the CAO on Thursday. People who will have accepted an offer over the summer will often turn it down if they've got a third level place.

Just so you are realise that it's not automatic and are aware of the lie of the land. But there is a good chance, depending on the course.

Advertisement