Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap and cheerful headphone amp for driving 250 ohm headphones

Options
  • 29-08-2015 8:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,658 ✭✭✭

I finally stepped up and bought a decent pair of monitor headphones (Beyerdynamic Dt770 250 ohm) but I'm afraid the headphone amp in my M-Audio fast track pro just isnt cutting it when it comes to driving them.

I will be looking to upgrade my interface over the next 6 months so I don't want to fork out too much cash for a headphone amp, but I also don't want to waste money on something if it has horrible audio quality. I would also prefer something small and compact rather than a rack based unit, I only need one headphone output.

The behringer HA400 seemed to get mentioned a lot while doing my research. Does anyone have any experiences with it?

Alternatively, if anyone has a solid cheap and cheerful recommendation I'm all ears.

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 743 Mod ✭✭✭✭TroutMask

Hi Patricide,
    probably better in this forum!

I have a couple of Peavey Headphone Boosters – completely animal, in fact I've never turned them all the way up! Multiple outs and balanced ins for studio hookup.
    I'm sure the Behringer is OK, though Behringer stuff generally tends to sound thin–if this is an issue, then perhaps seek another. The Peavey HB2 looks cool (that's the newer version of mine–it has a limiter, which is great!)
    You could get one of those wee mini-mixers too, plenty of gain and EQ as well.

Cheers, TM

• Registered Users Posts: 414 ✭✭godfrey

Advertisement