Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fetac/QQI tutor

Options
  • 28-08-2015 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi all,

Just wondering if anybody can help. I have an Advanced Cert. In early childhood education and care with Montessori level 6 and a level 6 special needs cert too. I'm currently working in a special school where I have been working for the last 6 years. I'm considering doing the train the trainer course as I'd like to be a part time or online tutor for a private college (I'm aware you need a degree and teaching council number to work in VECs and PLC colleges).

Is anybody currently doing this job or knows anything about this, that could give me some advice? As I don't want to waste money doing the course to be told afterwards that I'm not qualified enough. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chips69

Hi Pandora987....

Congrats on have the experience and relevant qualifications to work within the childcare area but as you pointed out will have to undertake a lot more study to meet the criteria for ETBs (old VEC)

Private colleges deliver many courses for FAS in the past but now that FAS is part of ETB the goal posts are also changing in terms of qualification requirements for tutors.

My friend is a course coordinator within a private college and said in the last 2 years they would only consider tutors with degrees in the specific area. I think train the trainer would be useful within an organisation for training the staff. In saying that I do know a few tutors who teach IT privately with this course but like everything they also believe regulations are changing for private institutes hence the need for degrees and post grads in Education. I hope all works out for you and perhaps someone else might have more an insight

• Registered Users Posts: 2 chips69

Pandora... I also forgot to mention that from 2014 along with a degree the teaching council also require a post grad in further education to register in FE sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Pandora987

chips69 wrote: »
    Pandora... I also forgot to mention that from 2014 along with a degree the teaching council also require a post grad in further education to register in FE sector.

Thanks so much for your advice. I did contact a few private colleges and they did say that I would be qualified to be a tutor with them if I had the train the trainer course but like you said they might pick someone with a degree over me. I'm hoping with my experience I might be considered and there is no degree course in special needs assistaning ...... fingers crossed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 clocktower

I am a coordinator with a private company who deliver child care and health care. For many years I delivered the child care and special needs assistance modules. In our company in order to deliver the special needs assistance modules/courses I had to have a degree in child care. You are correct in saying that a special needs assistance degree does not exist but within the degree programs this area is covered at level 7/8.

I am not advising you to not partake in this course but I do think with your experience you should consider up skilling to level 8 in childcare as this would allow you to teach all modules across the board in private colleges and provide you with enhanced opportunities in the field in different sectors

I know that you have contacted a company who said you were ok to teach but when it comes to recruitment those with degrees will defiantly won over those with FETAC level 6, and I'm not trying to be mean here. I also have many contacts within the private sector across Ireland and for the most part many would echo the view of a relevant degree.

I have no experience with train the trainer but I would ask the course coordinator if you have the opportunity to teach a class outside the group itself or is all teaching skills assessments within the group. getting practice outside the initial group is just as relevant as demonstrating teaching skills to each other. it also allows you the chance to approach private companies for practice, hence getting known to them and vice versa.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

Pandora987 wrote: »
    T
    there is no degree course in special needs assistaning ...... fingers crossed.

Surely there must be degrees in the general area?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3 maggie2

The degree course would be an ECEC Degree.

Advertisement