Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LawBreakers (New IP from Cliff Bleszinski

Options
  • 28-08-2015 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,926 ✭✭✭

lawbreakers-is-new-cliff-bleszinski-title-delivers-a-team-based-fps-experience.jpg

An arena FPS set in 2105, LawBreakers will focus on gravity-defying cops and robbers. The action takes place after a moon-based experiment threw all of Isaac Newton's work asunder.

There will be all manner of jetpacks, grappling hooks and gravity-manipulating devices. Bleszinski likened LawBreakers to the "ground is lava" game where folks do everything in their power to avoid touching the floor.

Bleszinski said the game's three main pillars will be "gangs, guns and gravity" and there will be plenty of factions within both law enforcements and cartels. Each team will have the same classes and abilities, even if the characters look different depending on whether they're cops or criminals.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 dman93

It's like a mixture of overwatch, teamfortress and titanfall, looks really good imo tho. Can't wait to play this on my new pc..hoping it is pc anyways :)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Some interesting comments from the dev team during their GDC Panel, "Surrounded by 800lb Gorillas! Standing Up to the Competition".

Probably the most interesting one coming from their Art Director...
    Developer Boss Key Productions also discovered that going the free-to-play route was overly influencing the game's design in a way the studio found creatively distracting. "I think it took away from development," said art director Tramell Isaac. "We ended up being focused on how to get money, as opposed to how to make a good game."

LawBreakers no longer free-to-play, due this summer

There's also some more examples of the change in art style on their own site here.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

Not much buzz about this game, but it's out on the 8th of August. There is also a beta starting tomorrow on PC, PS4 and Xbox. You can however download the beta now (well at least on PS4 anyway). Believe the beta lasts for 2 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

I tried the previous open beta.
    Literally couldn't make heads or tails of the systems & characters.
    Everything felt unintuitive.

Back to Quake Champions/Overwatch for me.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,692 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Played the last open beta and thought it was awesome, action packed high skill ceiling, love it.

Final open beta this weekend before release in 2 weeks.

Im playing on PC ofcourse, a really fast paced skill shooter like this just doesnt work with console controls.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

A day-1 for me.
    I think it's finally time for me to forgive Cliffy for heading to Gears of War and abandoning UT to the muppets that made 3...I won't lie, that won't be easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Just released and I am streaming at: www.twitch.tv/theliber8or if you are curious about the game.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

I want to get this but feel like I'll be throwing my money away in Australia. Likely no one playing it in a week or two.

Ok, stream back up if anyone is interested. www.twitch.tv/theliber8or

• Registered Users Posts: 6,911 ✭✭✭SeantheMan

Not heard of this

• Advertisement

Yeah, it would seem Boss Key Studios (unlike many AAA developers) couldn't afford to spend half the budget on marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,130 ✭✭✭_CreeD_

I've got it installed, did a quick run in the sandbox to get my controls straight but can't play it until the weekend. So just from their forums 2 things are apparent:
    1 - It's great fun.
    2 - There is an army of people (mostly Trolls, but some trying to make a valid point) decrying the low user base. Now that is a serious consideration for an online only title but ffs there are so many doing it they're basically running the online-game equivalent of a run-on-a-bank, where the fear of something causes it to happen. I guess they really just get their jollies trying to dance on graves.

Brand allegiance and schadenfreude. Basically sums the current behaviour on the LawBreakers forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

Falthyron wrote: »
    Yeah, it would seem Boss Key Studios (unlike many AAA developers) couldn't afford to spend half the budget on marketing.
    Most developers wouldn't be the ones putting the money into marketing, that'd be the publisher who in this case are Nexon, a company whose European and American arms aren't particularly well known in this space. The last project I can even remember them being involved in was Dirty Bomb from Splash Damage and from reading up on it, that relationship didn't last particularly long either.

There are a bunch of reports doing the rounds today, mostly sourced from this article, stating that their numbers aren't particularly good right now so hopefully things pick up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,994 ✭✭✭Stone Deaf 4evr

_CreeD_ wrote: »
    I've got it installed, did a quick run in the sandbox to get my controls straight but can't play it until the weekend. So just from their forums 2 things are apparent:
    1 - It's great fun.
    2 - There is an army of people (mostly Trolls, but some trying to make a valid point) decrying the low user base. Now that is a serious consideration for an online only title but ffs there are so many doing it they're basically running the online-game equivalent of a run-on-a-bank, where the fear of something causes it to happen. I guess they really just get their jollies trying to dance on graves.

The internet is a fascinating place, I remember last year, when titanfall 2 released (in fairness, putting it in between COD and Battlefield was lunacy), the reddit and forum pages were awash with people worried about the low user base and deciding whether or not to buy the game, even in the face of near unanimous positive reviews. Titanfall is only getting its legs now so to speak, helped by the drought of AAA titles being released just now and it being added to the EA subscription services.

hopefully lawbreakers can turn around too, Cliffy is a polarizing figure, but I do think his heart is in the right place by and large.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,870 ✭✭✭✭Generic Dreadhead

helped by the drought of AAA titles being released just now and it being added to the EA subscription services.

And helped by the fact TF2 is f**king fantastic too :)

I'm making the sex eyes at Lawbreakers now having read/watched a few reviews and gameplay vids

Advertisement