Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moister Meter in Aldi 3rd Sept

Options
  • 28-08-2015 7:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 127 ✭✭

For anyone who doesn't have one, handy little tool for the MH.

I recommend Digital Moisture Meter from 9/3/15 at ALDI. More at https://aldi.in/9rt3.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Imho they're not very accurate, and I don't like the way they puncture the wall. And believe me,, to get a good reading they need to be pressed in enough to leave a visible dent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

true, but if you're buying a caravan/MH then you don't want a soggy sponge.

if I was selling, and advertised it as dry, I'd have a damp meter sitting on the table for people to try when they came to look.

on those occasions when buying, I've asked, "is it ok?" if the seller says no, then I leave there and then

Well and true, but I wouldn't let anyone poke pairs of holes around the place in one of my motor homes tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Well and true, but I wouldn't let anyone poke pairs of holes around the place in one of my motor homes tbh.

Wha type would you recommend?

Cost?

Where from?

The one we use we bought years ago from Reimo. Couple hundred euro iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 222 ✭✭Wx

Many thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,043 ✭✭✭martinedwards

unless you are a qualified structural engineer or similar having a really accurate meter is overkill.

something that "goes sorry mate, soggy" is all the average punter will ever need!

unless you are a qualified structural engineer or similar having a really accurate meter is overkill.

something that "goes sorry mate, soggy" is all the average punter will ever need!

Ah, couldn't agree there... Timber can be damp a looonngg time before it gets "soggy". Mine shows level of damp in wood, I often find dampness in apparently sound dry nd hard wood. Apparently, until you dig deeper...

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,057 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

Aidan_M_M wrote: »
    Ah, couldn't agree there... Timber can be damp a looonngg time before it gets "soggy". Mine shows level of damp in wood, I often find dampness in apparently sound dry nd hard wood. Apparently, until you dig deeper...

Right on all counts Aidan,

The aldi moisture meter is a toy, and as you correctly point out, if you want proper precision, then you have to pay the money.

Moisture meter readings in timber is a tricky business, as you can get two different readings 25mm apart from the same piece of timber.

Good meters need the points well into the timber material, sometimes the seperate probe needs to be tapped in with a hammer, as its not enough to just touch the timber surface to get a reading.

And dry looking timbers are drier at the surface, than a few millimetre below it. These meters may well give you a false sense of security, that the area you are checking is ok, where in reality a few mm deeper its not as dry as you think.

I,ve used them in timberframe design, and joinery manufacture, and i reckon you would be hard pressed to get a good accurate Tramex one for less than about 300+, but I,m open to correction on that.

And chances are that you will be checking on the inside of the camper, yet water penetration has probably started on the outside. So you will be checking the drier part of a suspected wet area.

Save your money, get a professional to check if you have any doubts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

kadman wrote: »
    i reckon you would be hard pressed to get a good accurate Tramex one for less than about 300+, but I,m open to correction on that

Would be interesting to see how accurate the chinese inductive ones are generally they just rip the design off from someone else anyway so you might be surprised. All the diagnostic, test and repair kit I've got from china has been spot on.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4-Modes-Digital-Non-Destructive-Inductive-Moisture-Meter-0-40-C-LED-w-Alarm-/191673366975?hash=item2ca09f79bf

• Advertisement

Problem is the amount of metal in a camper local to the testing point. Interference here could cause an incorrect reading.

And if you really feel the need to check your camper for mc in anypart of it, you must have an inkling that something is leaking, if you are testing for it. And if that be the case, the bigger issue is will you be able to repair it properly. To properly fix a leak maybe major undertaking, its not always going to be as simple as slapping a bit of silicone on it.

Leak repairs are not simple issues for the novice coachbuilder
    Comment from contributor M:
    The pinless or inductive moisture meters are more subject to interference (from things like metal) and are not reliable when used in any construction that involves nails, screws, pins, metal fasteners, etc. So, except for measuring moisture at the lumberyard, they are not a first choice. Also, I've seen widely divergent readings from inductive MM in the same location when taken one after the other. I'm not really a fan of Pinless either - See more at: http://www.woodweb.com/knowledge_base/Comparing_moisture_meters.html#sthash.wPV5T0jQ.dpuf

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

kadman wrote: »
    Problem is the amount of metal in a camper local to the testing point. Interference here could cause an incorrect reading.

And if you really feel the need to check your camper for mc in anypart of it, you must have an inkling that something is leaking, if you are testing for it. And if that be the case, the bigger issue is will you be able to repair it properly. To properly fix a leak maybe major undertaking, its not always going to be as simple as slapping a bit of silicone on it.

Leak repairs are not simple issues for the novice coachbuilder

Hadn't really thought it through I was thinking about the large insulated cavities in my van but if you don't know whats behind where your're testing its pretty useless alright.

Anyway wouldn't place much value on a few moisture readings here and there if anything it could give a false sense of security. You'd still have to check everywhere, look into all nook and crannied and check the state of the seals and sealant.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 260 ✭✭Anita M.

Do you need one for the conversion to pass the test?

Anita M. wrote: »
    Do you need one for the conversion to pass the test?

No.
    Goodluck.:)

Advertisement