Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Washing machine won't drain during cycle, but will drain afterwards

Options
  • 27-08-2015 10:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭

Looking for some washing machine advice!

It won't drain during a wash cycle, it goes from washing to spinning then skips draining and just finishes.

But if you leave it a minute and then just switch it over to 'drain' ... it drains. And it'll drain during a spin cycle. So it's not blocked or anything, as far as we can tell.

It's not the biggest problem in the world, but I'd still prefer it just drained at the end of its wash cycle like it's supposed to, rather than me having to switch it onto drain mode after.

Any advice?!

Comments

Does the machine have a mechanical timer/knob (one that turns while the machine is running), if so it could be a dirty contact in the switch causing it to "skip" the drain section of the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,357 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Some machines have a setting which holds on to the water at the end of the last rinse, this is so that the clothes won't crease as a result of being left in the machine for an age after the wash has finished. It's a setting you'd use for example if you were to start the wash just as you're leaving for work so the procedure would be that you'd set it to drain when you get home, it would then drain and spin and you then unload it.

Is there any chance that your machine has this facility and someone has activated it? Check the lights and buttons on the front panel, it's sometimes called 'drain hold'.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭car.kar

It does! Thanks, I'll have a look at that.
    Does the machine have a mechanical timer/knob (one that turns while the machine is running), if so it could be a dirty contact in the switch causing it to "skip" the drain section of the cycle.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭car.kar

Hmm, I've never heard of that! Thanks, I'll have a look at the buttons and see!
    coylemj wrote: »
    Some machines have a setting which holds on to the water at the end of the last rinse, this is so that the clothes won't crease as a result of being left in the machine for an age after the wash has finished. It's a setting you'd use for example if you were to start the wash just as you're leaving for work so the procedure would be that you'd set it to drain when you get home, it would then drain and spin and you then unload it.

Is there any chance that your machine has this facility and someone has activated it? Check the lights and buttons on the front panel, it's sometimes called 'drain hold'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Billy Bunting

Rinse hold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭filbert the fox

car.kar wrote: »
    Looking for some washing machine advice!

It won't drain during a wash cycle, it goes from washing to spinning then skips draining and just finishes.

But if you leave it a minute and then just switch it over to 'drain' ... it drains. And it'll drain during a spin cycle. So it's not blocked or anything, as far as we can tell.

It's not the biggest problem in the world, but I'd still prefer it just drained at the end of its wash cycle like it's supposed to, rather than me having to switch it onto drain mode after.

Any advice?!

Ahem, filter cleaning would confirm, no?

He does say that it does drain when he switches it to "drain" or uses the spin cycle.

I initially thought that it could be an issue with the timer, but as others have pointed out "rinse hold" could also be on.

• Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭davidoco

Is it a miele by any chance?

Anyhow check filter for even the smallest piece of dirt.

My solution for acting up washing machines and I be seen a lot. Buy 5 litres of white vinegar. Pour in drum. . Put on a wash without clothes. Let run for a few minutes and pull the power. Leave overnight. Pit on drain in morning but pull the power /stop after 20 seconds. Leave till afternoon and do a rinse/drain.

Check your filter again.

Advertisement