Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Please help with Army Records

Options
  • 27-08-2015 10:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 35

Hi all,

In some desperate need of help as I have officially hit a brick wall.

I got my great-grandfathers marriage cert from 1916 and discovered that he was a soldier (presumably British Army). The Cert is so hard to read but I 'm pretty sure it states his address as Marlborough Barracks. Through googling I've discovered that this is now McKee Barracks and some pictures of same but that is no help. So I'm just wondering if there are any ways to find records of people stationed in the Barracks at the time. I've tried searching Ancestry, etc, but his name is frustratingly common and I have literally no other information on him.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,625 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

If his military record survives, then the British National Archives at Kew will have it. I believe that all the WWI records are online on both their site and Ancestry's.

Try getting the birth certs of all his children, one of them may give a different piece of info, like the name of a regiment. You could also try the Military forums and see if anyone knows what regiments were in the Marlborough barracks in 1916, which would narrow it down.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

McKee was and still is a cavalry barracks. The Army Equitation School was (is?) there also.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 veghead

Thanks for the help.

pinkypinky - Unfortunately, he only had one son who died when he was 30 and my dad was a baby. So the only information I have is what I have gotten from his marriage cert and his sons birth cert. I'll definitely try the Military forums though and see if anyone there can help.

pedroeibar1 - Yeah, accordingly to Google the Equitation School is there since 1926, didn't event know what equitation was till just now, I guess I'm not done learning :)

Advertisement