Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Family Income Support + Grant

Options
  • 27-08-2015 9:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭

Hey guys so I'm starting first year this year and I got my grant decision today and I'm kind of surprised and very disappointed because I'm living really far fro home and I'm not sure I can live on what they have awarded me! My mother is on a CE scheme and my dad is on JSA but he receives about 90 euro on top of it in the form of family income support.
    On the website they say that FIS isn't counted as reckonable income but it was exactly this that pushed me over the limit for the special rate.
    Has this ever happened to anyone else and has anyone any advice on what I should do?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Are you sure its FIS you dad is getting? You have to be working in order to get it.

• Registered Users Posts: 102 ✭✭Almen11

MouseTail wrote: »
    Are you sure its FIS you dad is getting? You have to be working in order to get it.

Yes he gets it because my mam works over 19hours a week

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Lamina

No FIS shouldn't be counted as reckonable income. Are you sure that it was counted and there wasn't other things listed that pushed you over? Try ringing them and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭biddy21

Where does it tell you how much you are getting on the grant?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Almen11 wrote: »
    Yes he gets it because my mam works over 19hours a week

The employed/working person is the one that gets FIS not the unemployed person.
    Are you sure you have the correct incomes.
    Remember, SUSI get their figures directly from Revenue and Social Welfare to match up what you have entered on the application form. If these figures or the type of payments differ, SUSI apply the figures they receive from Revenue and SW (higher or lower) and also the type of income.

• Advertisement
Advertisement