Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smartwatches! General questions

Options
  • 27-08-2015 7:40pm

I'm debating buying a smartwatch (Android, of course!) and I'd just like to hear from people who have them already -

What exactly are the benefits to them? What would be one thing that would convince me to buy it above anything else - the killer app, if you will?

What are the best ones for the least amount? I wouldn't really want to spend above €100 on one.

Can you answer calls on them? Stream audio from my phone to there?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I have a pebble. Not Android.

It has an e ink screen so the battery will last about a week. I get texts, emails, calendar reminders as alerts on it. You can also install apps to do different things, I have a weather app installed, a calendar app that lets me view my upcoming appointments, music control app that lets me skip, pause, turn volume up and down.

I could definitely do without it but its a nice to have. I can't answer calls, I can see who is calling and decline if needed.

I have no experience of Android Smart watches but I dont know if you will get much for €100 (if any), I dont think you can answer calls on it, or stream audio from it (maybe with a bluetooth headset you can) Smart Watches are more about adding to the smart phone experience not about taking over from it.

That said I would love an Android Smart Watch because they look lovely!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

You should be able to get reviews on the capabilities of the different watches by googling or looking on youtube.

I don't own one but the "killer app" seems to be checking your phone less frequently to deal with small notifications. Personally, I have alerts for those kind of notifications turned off and I'll deal with them when I check my phone normally.

The cheapest android wear smartwatch is probably the LG G watch (not R or Urbane) I've heard of that being as low as 80€.

Most of the watches come with 4gb internal storage which I believe you can store some music in (I guess for a run) but you'll need bluetooth headphones to connect to the watch.

I'm waiting to see what IFA in Berlin next week will bring. Strong rumours of a new moto360 and possibly something new by LG. Huawei might finally release the watch they teased almost a year ago, all of which sound like promising devices but at the €300 mark most likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,681 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

For anyone with a smart watch that's plays golf. Can you download a golf GPS app and use it that way?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭mattser

At first glance I thought the title read Smartarses :p

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I had a Samsung smart watch and I believe the most apt description is "absolute turkey".

Aside from the fact it is pig-ugly, I really struggle to see the point. In fact, at one stage I felt completely overwhelmed by the incessant alerts. Yes, I know you can turn them off and I did, so I was left with a watch. :)

Not for me, despite the fact I am a gadget enthusiast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,554 ✭✭✭Squeeonline

For anyone with a smart watch that's plays golf. Can you download a golf GPS app and use it that way?

Only a couple of android wear watches come with GPS and a lot with GPS don't have "apps" (see garmin). Sony Smartwatch 3 has GPS and android wear in case OP is interested.

So essentially what I'm hearing is that they're a relatively pointless luxury? With the only benefit being that you don't have to look at your phone?

So essentially what I'm hearing is that they're a relatively pointless luxury? With the only benefit being that you don't have to look at your phone?

This and the "Dick Tracy" effect. (For those of you too young to remember, I'm referring to speaking into your watch to make a phonecall)

My experiences with the Samsung watch are actually part of the reason I didn't buy the Apple watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

you can speak to the watch the same as you speak to google now, but I feel self concious doing that anywhere apart from alone at home so I dont see myself doing it on the Train or Bus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,243 ✭✭✭symbolic

I really like mine. I have the Sony Smartwatch 3.

I enjoy when I'm walking somewhere, Note 4 in pocket, earphones in listening to music and using watch to change album etc.
    Responding to a text/hangouts, initiating hangouts now with Hangouts app without pulling out phone. When people send a pic it can be viewed on watch. Its nice! I often would have missed notifications when walking etc as wouldn't feel it in pocket, but always feel it now.

Ordering Uber and popping phone in pocket and getting updates via watch is cool. Same with Dublin Bus. Bus approaching stop alert. Same with Dublin Bikes, less than 2 bikes available! and great when stopped at lights on bike.

Have the calendar app installed to check diary.

Handy in the evenings too, when phone is charging i can read/respond to notifications. Setting timers too and you get the little vibration on your arm. Might be working on laptop and can glance at whatever notification.

But yes, it is just a luxury, much like my Note 4 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,166 ✭✭✭✭ED E

M360 here.

Its not revolutionary, and its 1st gen so expect all the teething of any new product line.

The use case is as a minor compliment to your primary device, you just take your phone out less. It allows me to:
    Control music
    Play an artist with no effort at all (OK google, listen to Hot Chip)
    Open the electric gates hands free on the bike
    Navigation is amazing on the bike
    "Reduce Alerting Noise" as PagerDuty phrase it, basically I can glance at and ignore junk, but still deal with time sensitive things be it email, whatsapp, text, aftership, whatever.

Asking it questions is pretty hand too, like "Ok google whats 185 pounds in kilos" or "Who starred in the movie Moon?".

If you have €200 spare and want to treat yourself, do it, but set realistic expectations.

ED E wrote: »
    If you have €200 spare and want to treat yourself, do it, but set realistic expectations.

And there's my problem. I think my expectations were probably way too high.

Advertisement