Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Which Estate €30k-€40k is the best for 2015

Options
  • 27-08-2015 5:03pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 26

Hello guys,

Im in a bit of dilemma of picking which estate to buy, the VW Passat Estate, Ford Mondeo Estate, Skoda Superb, Toyota Avensis, or the Mazda 6

If you think X car is better please tell me why and give me pros and cons of the cars as well please.

Thanks for taking the time to answer,
    ShadowR34per
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

Hello guys,

Im in a bit of dilemma of picking which estate to buy, the VW Passat Estate, Ford Mondeo Estate, Skoda Superb, Toyota Avensis, or the Mazda 6

If you think X car is better please tell me why and give me pros and cons of the cars as well please.

Thanks for taking the time to answer,
    ShadowR34per

Interior of the Avensis isn't a patch on the others, and it's very long in the tooth now, even after the heavy facelift it's just had.

Mazda 6 is gorgeous, and fantastic to drive, but will probably break down a lot and break your heart too.

Mondeo Estate in Deep Impact Blue, Tinted Rear Windows and a decent set of wheels is a cracking looking car, very comfy to drive and has decent engine options now. Wouldn't be too pushed on a Titanium over a Zetec with appearance pack.

Skoda Superb / VW Passat - pretty similar in all areas except rear seat space. Skoda marginally cheaper and marginally better standard specification, but will cost more than the Passat overall due to a little higher depreciation.

Personally, I'd take a Superb 190ps Style with upgraded wheels. Just pips the Passat Highline in my opinion due to the standard larger Sat Nav screen / hard drive. Roughly same price as the Passat 150ps Highline BE - just under the 40k budget.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 ShadowR34per

Im not really looking for power, im looking for comfort and bells and whistles, and I guess the Superb is the best choice with a 150 or 120 ps engine, btw the skoda superb configurator on the website is not working properly, any idea when it will be updated?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 51,179 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

While you might not want power you still need something that will overtake with ease especially if you have a boot full of gear and people on board. Better off sticking to bigger engines that have more low end torque than point size 1.6 litre engines.

What about the Volvo V60:
    http://www.driving.ie/used-cars/Volvo/V60/D4-R/201014394627738930/

Not as roomy as a Superb or Passat though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭JoeA3

Mazda 6 "break down a lot".... Really? That's interesting, I'd have perceived them to be a safe bet in the reliability stakes.

There are alot of question marks over the reliability of their in house diesels though. They don't have a great reputation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 T.Sparkie

Mazda 6 sounds tasty... The 2.2 diesel is a great engine with a 2 stage turbo so virtually no lag and loads of torque on tap.
    The early versions of the new model did have issues with the turbo's eating themselves but they have since improved the design and no issues since.
    Finish wise its virtually unrecognisable to the 90's plastic battleships, the platinum models come fully packed with Bose Stereo, Leather, Parking camera etc. and the running costs are very low for a 2.2 (190 tax p.a).

Haven't driven the new Superb so can't compare it to that however I was pleasantly surprised with design.

The new mondeo hatch I drove was quite comfortable and nice to drive however as with most ford's in recent times it just lacked that extra touch for me and the 1.6 diesel engine is a bit sluggish for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,024 ✭✭✭Casati

Im not sure about the comment re Superb resale not being as good as the Passat, that certainly hasn't been the case with the old models, especially in combo version which dealers apparently have waiting lists for second-hand and has made great money second-hand, better than similar price new Passats

The 120 bhp Superb looks like a great car, the performance is good enough to keep up with Irish traffic and it will cruise well at motorway speeds - if you need a car to overtake quickly on country roads you might be under pressure with it. The new model is a lot lighter than the old one and feels lively

Ive been in both the new Superb and Passat, and drove the L&K DSG 190bhp and it was a beaut but at close to 50k it was way too expensive. The Style has tonnes of equipment and quality of the cabin matches the Passat imo and is the spec to go for if the budget will stretch.

The Mondeo looks great but would cost a fortune if you spec it up like a Style Superb. If your happy not to have leather, nav, electric seats etc, the Zetec 1.6 tdci would make a fine buy

Im really surprised by the comment about Mazda reliability too, they had issues with the now very old 2.0 diesel, didn't think the newer ones gave issues. I'd buy one regardless for the looks alone, its the one car I regret not looking harder at when buying a Superb myself

if you wanted to spend less, I'd add the Insignia to the list - they are nearing end of life but the 2.0 140bhp is an economical strong engine, and they are generally very reliable and well equipped and you'll get a bigger discount than you will with the others- long term it probably won't hold its value

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

the 6 is lovely to drive and feels expensive

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

Mazda 6 2.2 diesel issues here.

I think George was referring to the previous generation 6 rather than the current one with the newer SkyActiveD engine.

Hopefully R.O.R is reading this thread and could have a look at his records and tell us if any of the new models on this fleet have had any issues.

• Advertisement

Casati wrote: »
    Im not sure about the comment re Superb resale not being as good as the Passat, that certainly hasn't been the case with the old models, especially in combo version which dealers apparently have waiting lists for second-hand and has made great money second-hand, better than similar price new Passats

The 120 bhp Superb looks like a great car, the performance is good enough to keep up with Irish traffic and it will cruise well at motorway speeds - if you need a car to overtake quickly on country roads you might be under pressure with it. The new model is a lot lighter than the old one and feels lively

Ive been in both the new Superb and Passat, and drove the L&K DSG 190bhp and it was a beaut but at close to 50k it was way too expensive. The Style has tonnes of equipment and quality of the cabin matches the Passat imo and is the spec to go for if the budget will stretch.

The Mondeo looks great but would cost a fortune if you spec it up like a Style Superb. If your happy not to have leather, nav, electric seats etc, the Zetec 1.6 tdci would make a fine buy

Im really surprised by the comment about Mazda reliability too, they had issues with the now very old 2.0 diesel, didn't think the newer ones gave issues. I'd buy one regardless for the looks alone, its the one car I regret not looking harder at when buying a Superb myself

if you wanted to spend less, I'd add the Insignia to the list - they are nearing end of life but the 2.0 140bhp is an economical strong engine, and they are generally very reliable and well equipped and you'll get a bigger discount than you will with the others- long term it probably won't hold its value

My thoughts on the Superb / Passat resale was that the Superb would go for the same or more, but we sold a Superb 2.0 140 Ambition Combi and a Passat 2.0 140 Comfortline Estate in the same month, with very similar (around 120k) mileage, and got €1,500 more for the Passat.

New Mazda 2.2 has been horrifically unreliable for us. Old 2.2 had similar issues to the 2.0, but not as bad. If I was putting my own money in to a car, it definitely wouldn't be a Mazda even though they are gorgeous and drive great (when they drive).

Insignia 2.0 140ps is no more - didn't meet EU6 regulations, so has now been replaced by a 1.6 136ps engine. Driven a Zafira with the new engine and it's actually better than the larger engine it replaces.

Superb configurator was working for me:
    Superb 2.0Tdi 150ps Style Combi
    Metallic Paint
    Any of the 18" upgrade wheels at €450
    Heated Windscreen
    Sunset Glass (Tinted Rear windows)
    Sunblinds for rear side windows

Comes to €38,972 before delivery charge.
    Quartz Grey with the beige leather / black carpets would be what I'd order.

bazz26 wrote: »
    Hopefully R.O.R is reading this thread and could have a look at his records and tell us if any of the new models on this fleet have had any issues.

Most of them :mad:

Including a CX5 that's approaching 90 days off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

bazz26 wrote: »
    I think George was referring to the previous generation 6 rather than the current one with the newer SkyActiveD engine.

I don't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 omicron persei 8

Hyundai i40 estate

I I had the money for a new car this would be it

The Skoda configurator is not really fully completed, some options that the UK website has the IE one doesnt and some options are labeled as PLI, PLX etc.

By the way, any opinions on the Mistubishi Outlander guys? Heard its good, can you guys confirm, and are they gonna launch a new Outlander for Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,468 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

The Skoda configurator is not really fully completed, some options that the UK website has the IE one doesnt and some options are labeled as PLI, PLX etc.

By the way, any opinions on the Mistubishi Outlander guys? Heard its good, can you guys confirm, and are they gonna launch a new Outlander for Ireland?

Skoda configurator really is a mystery box of extras. A few descriptions would be handy skoda.

Ah yeah - see what you mean about the options being coded rather than described. Can make most of them out from the little picture, but you'd need to contact a dealer for the others. Don't really need anything if you go for the Style model - bits I chose are cheap enough and useful or make it look good.

There is a "New" Outlander either coming or just arrived, but it's really a facelift of the old model, with higher specification. Mitsubishi were out with us earlier this week with it (and the new L200) so I took it for a quick spin.

If you want a 7 seater then it's better specified than a Santa Fe for the same price, has the 4wd system and handles really well for an SUV type vehicle. Still far too much black plastic on the interior to compete with the likes of the Passat or Superb though.

Ok, thanks

R.O.R wrote: »

If you want a 7 seater then it's better specified than a Santa Fe for the same price, has the 4wd system and handles really well for an SUV type vehicle. Still far too much black plastic on the interior to compete with the likes of the Passat or Superb though.

We're looking at the new Sorrento at the moment. Much prefer the interior to the Santa Fe. Better spec too. Getting a test drive in an automatic is proving a balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

If it were me, I'd go with a Passat Highline BE, with the DSG box, and at least the 150, but if budget allowed 190 4-motion. I'd only choose this because of ROR's reports on the Mazda, otherwise I'd choose that.
    Don't go for the 1.6 option in any of those.

• Advertisement

Tea 1000 wrote: »
    If it were me, I'd go with a Passat Highline BE, with the DSG box, and at least the 150, but if budget allowed 190 4-motion. I'd only choose this because of ROR's reports on the Mazda, otherwise I'd choose that.
    Don't go for the 1.6 option in any of those.

Specced a superb estate with the 190 4wd. It was around 52k to spec it close to our own superb. I can only imagine what the Passat is like. Crazy prices for either.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,520 ✭✭✭Tea 1000

Specced a superb estate with the 190 4wd. It was around 52k to spec it close to our own superb. I can only imagine what the Passat is like. Crazy prices for either.
    The Superb is almost identically priced to the Passat when you're at similar spec. There's very little between them. I wouldn't be surprised to see a Passat come in cheaper for some options.
    They are reefing on the options though. 3k for 4 motion isn't worth it. 1500 it'd be a no brainer.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 374 ✭✭Jjiipp79

Surly a merc estate is the way to go, it has the lot

Jjiipp79 wrote: »
    Surly a merc estate is the way to go, it has the lot

They're fairly expensive and you don't get a lot of kit. That e class (facelifted model) is due to be replaced soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,309 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

They're fairly expensive and you don't get a lot of kit. That e class (facelifted model) is due to be replaced soon.

The facelift e class is soon to be replaced?
    Really?

mickdw wrote: »
    Really?

Next year. Still could be a year away admittedly, but that'd put me off.

mickdw wrote: »
    Really?

I got MSL Cork's last build slot for an E-Class Estate - hasn't arrived yet, but I think that's probably the last one coming in to the country.

R.O.R wrote: »
    I got MSL Cork's last build slot for an E-Class Estate - hasn't arrived yet, but I think that's probably the last one coming in to the country.

How do you find them. I think they're awful. Feckers weren't even aware of the 7 seat options on anything. Absolutely clueless.

How do you find them. I think they're awful. Feckers weren't even aware of the 7 seat options on anything. Absolutely clueless.

There is no 7 seat option on most E-Class estate models any more. Anything that requires AdBlue can no longer be fitted with the 7 seats as the AdBlue tank is now where the seats used to fold down in to.

I find MSL Cork very good - 7th car this year from them. Declan Casey is my contact.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,849 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

how about a range rover evoque? 42k, E200 motor tax AFAIK...

http://landrover.ie/range-rover-evoque-pricing

Advertisement