Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How can I make the most of my year in TY?

• 27-08-2015 4:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8 zumley

I have lots of plans for Transition Year to try and get the most out of it as possible. A load of people I've spoken to say they wasted their year, and I don't want that to happen to me.

I already have plans to do two lots of work experience (one in Germany!), I want to enter BT Young Scientist, etc.

Any suggestions that are worthwhile? Stuff to add to my CV would be great. Thanks!
    ~Zumley

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Ayrtonf7

Enjoy the time off! The next two years will probably be a pain in the ass.

But seriously, just do things you want to do. Try to find what it is that really interests you. It will help you a lot when it comes to choosing a career! Getting a part-time job would also be a pretty good way to spend some of your free time!

I dunno how people would waste the year, aside from those people who waste their time in school anyways. Just participate and enjoy it. It was probably one of my favorite times in secondary school and really helped me break out of my shell!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 zumley

Thanks for the advice :D

Take part in everything on offer. If a play/musical is part of your course. don't just sit back, take part in as many aspects as possible. If a table quiz in on, don't just attend, set some questions for it. If you have the chance to Mentor first years, do so. For any fundraising, have a say. For the mini business, be adventurous and ambitious. If possible learn new skills. From First Aid, to swimming coaching. It is for you to bond as a group and test yourselves in life skills. If you want little or nothing from life, then do little or nothing. If you want more, do more! It's a great big World out there. Experience it and enjoy!

Thank you very much, I'll definitely participate in everything available to me! Doing a First Aid or lifesaving course is a really good idea too, I'll look into it!

• Registered Users Posts: 265 ✭✭NOS3

If you find that some part of the year is getting boring(it probably will at some stage), Try organise something. e.g. propose going to an activity centre, if there is interest find out the cost of entry and cost of the bus, try and get a deal, and go to your coordinator with the plan. Then cooperate with the school to pick a date which doesn't interfere with other plans. Type up a permission slip and collect the money from the other students.(I may be forgetting something, but you will figure it out as you go along with it :P) This may seem like a lot of work but this is the essence of TY!

and as everyone else said, take every opportunity you get and have fun. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭Mr Rhode Island Red

Same as what's been said already, sign up for and take part in everything that's going (within reason). I auditioned for our TY musical last year with absolutely zero previous acting or singing experience and ended up getting a main part :pac:

And try not to get into the habit of taking days off, even if there isn't anything going on in school. There will be a slow month or two during the course of the year. A good few got into this habit in my year and their attendance just went down the toilet altogether, they fell out of the loop and didn't know what was going on, and as a result found themselves left out of many events that were being organised.

On top of that they'll probably find it harder than ever to get back into fifth year.

Regardless of what you do, make sure you enjoy the year.

Same as what's been said already, sign up for and take part in everything that's going (within reason). I auditioned for our TY musical last year with absolutely zero previous acting or singing experience and ended up getting a main part :pac:

And try not to get into the habit of taking days off, even if there isn't anything going on in school. There will be a slow month or two during the course of the year. A good few got into this habit in my year and their attendance just went down the toilet altogether, they fell out of the loop and didn't know what was going on, and as a result found themselves left out of many events that were being organised.

On top of that they'll probably find it harder than ever to get back into fifth year.

Regardless of what you do, make sure you enjoy the year.

This is a very good point. If things are quiet, take the initiative and start something up! Organise someone to come and give a talk on their chosen career path, a local businessperson, Garda, Doctor, Solicitor etc, or just write and create a short film, just for the fun of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭smiles_1998

As well as everything that has been said, try and get involved in activities outside school. Doing the Gaisce medal is a good way of doing this as you have to do a personal skill activity (eg learning to play an instrument, acting etc), a physical recreation skill (can be anything from a team sport to gym membership) and a community skill (eg volunteering).

I got involved with a local youth theatre group and the slow months in school coincided with rehearsals for our production, so I was very busy with that and it sort of compensated for the slow days in school.

I know a lot of extra-curricular activities are quite expensive, but if it is at all possible, try to get involved in one such activity- maybe even something that is a little outside your comfort zone!

As well as everything that has been said, try and get involved in activities outside school. Doing the Gaisce medal is a good way of doing this as you have to do a personal skill activity (eg learning to play an instrument, acting etc), a physical recreation skill (can be anything from a team sport to gym membership) and a community skill (eg volunteering).

This is really good advice actually. I'm definitely planning on doing Gaisce! There's also a school play, which I'll get involved in. Thank you very much :D

I got involved with a local youth theatre group and the slow months in school coincided with rehearsals for our production, so I was very busy with that and it sort of compensated for the slow days in school.

I know a lot of extra-curricular activities are quite expensive, but if it is at all possible, try to get involved in one such activity- maybe even something that is a little outside your comfort zone!

Thanks for the advice :D I was thinking about joining Comhairle na nÓg this year actually. I should probably go for that. Thanks for the advice!

• Advertisement

NOS3 wrote: »
    Try organise something. e.g. propose going to an activity centre, if there is interest find out the cost of entry and cost of the bus, try and get a deal, and go to your coordinator with the plan. Then cooperate with the school to pick a date which doesn't interfere with other plans. Type up a permission slip and collect the money from the other students.(I may be forgetting something, but you will figure it out as you go along with it :P) This may seem like a lot of work but this is the essence of TY!

Thank you very much, I'll get thinking of things I could organise :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

+1 on the Gaisce award. We didn't do it in TY and I'm raging cause I did it in college and it was amazing! You learn a new skill, get involved in a sport (get fit and have fun!), volunteer and can have an amazing experience on the walk or cycle with friends in your class! Definitely get on to the TY co-ordinator about it, it would be fantastic.

Also, when it comes to mini-company really try and think outside of the box. It's easy making smoothies, milkshakes etc. but you'll learn way more and get more out of it if you try and think of something no-one has before. We wrote a survival guide for secondary school students and made it all the way to the All-Ireland finals, and the other group (who made a bin you that could be attached to the side of desks) won an award for finance, which was pretty incredible!

mrkiscool2 wrote: »
    +1 on the Gaisce award. We didn't do it in TY and I'm raging cause I did it in college and it was amazing! You learn a new skill, get involved in a sport (get fit and have fun!), volunteer and can have an amazing experience on the walk or cycle with friends in your class! Definitely get on to the TY co-ordinator about it, it would be fantastic.

Also, when it comes to mini-company really try and think outside of the box. It's easy making smoothies, milkshakes etc. but you'll learn way more and get more out of it if you try and think of something no-one has before. We wrote a survival guide for secondary school students and made it all the way to the All-Ireland finals, and the other group (who made a bin you that could be attached to the side of desks) won an award for finance, which was pretty incredible!

A local school some years ago, compiled a booklet on hillwalking for beginners. There are plenty hills/mountains around Clonmel.

mrkiscool2 wrote: »

Just signed up for Gaisce today!! :D Thank you very much for the advice. I'll get thinking up some ideas as we have a mini company competition at our school too :) Thanks!

Personalised Calendars are a good seller, or just fun ones with cute doggies and kitty cats!

I'll keep that in mind ^_^ Thanks!

Advertisement