Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Radeon HD6950

Options
  • 27-08-2015 10:47am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭

Hi

I bought this computer

http://www.adverts.ie/8171725

I got a free Radeon HD6950 this has 2x6pin connectors now the thing is i didnt get the connector cables with the card.

I bought a new power supply 520w,its list of connections are as follows
    1x universal 24pin 20+4pin main atx power connector
    1x4pin+12v power connector
    3x4pin molex for hdd cd rom etc
    1x floppy connector
    2x serial ata power connectors

question what do i need to join the psu up to the radeon card?
    No shops in Dublin stock the needed connectors.

Thanks for any help

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

What is the model of the power supply you bought? Sounds suspiciously like a cheap power supply which might be essentially useless.

What power supply is in the HP at present? It may be enough for the card, HP machines of that type often have 450W power supplies.

Post a picture of the power supply you bought, and the one that's currently in the machine - a picture of the label would help.

Either way, two of these is what you would be requiring if neither supply has any pci-e connectors.

b95b0618_molex-to-pci-express-2.jpeg

Never mind, looked up the spec and the HP's power supply is not powerful enough to support the 6950.

Post a link/picture of the supply you bought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Thanks for you reply!
    The psu as you knew in the hp was under par just 300w
    Here are a few pics of the psu,i bought this a year ago

Unfortunately you will need a new power supply, that one is total junk.

You could spend €50 on a decent one online, but the other option would be to sell the HD6950, you should get about €70-80 for it, and buy a GTX750Ti in its place.

The advantage is that it's a brand new card with warranty, uses a fraction of the power the HD6950 uses, is way smaller and quieter, offers the same performance, and would work fine on the HP's standard 300w psu.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,189 ✭✭✭drdeadlift

Unfortunately you will need a new power supply, that one is total junk.

You could spend €50 on a decent one online, but the other option would be to sell the HD6950, you should get about €70-80 for it, and buy a GTX750Ti in its place.

The advantage is that it's a brand new card with warranty, uses a fraction of the power the HD6950 uses, is way smaller and quieter, offers the same performance, and would work fine on the HP's standard 300w psu.

Thanks very much for the advice its appreciated!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭gocall01

Spoiler Test
    Spoiler Test...

Advertisement