Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Japan to Ireland by Bike

Options
  • 27-08-2015 9:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭

This is the brother-in-law, Him and his girlfriend have spent the last 2 years teaching English in Japan. They are on their way back to Ireland by bicycle.

They have just come through Mongolia and are near to Russia. They have gotton delayed by sickness for 4 days but are back on track again.

They are writing about it and got into the Irish Times Saturday 2 weeks ago.

https://crankandcog.wordpress.com/

Now it would be very bad of me not to meet them along the road when they get to this country and ride a bit of the road with them....!

Not Daft but Brave

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭Koobcam

Your Brother-in-law and his girlfriend are a bit mad. Fair play to em', it's a long way back.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,644 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

interesting read, will have a follow

• Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

interesting read, will have a follow

Same here. I'll keep an eye on this too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,604 ✭✭✭petethedrummer

The photos are amazing. Wanderlust is rising.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,398 ✭✭✭run_Forrest_run

amazing pics of what will surely be a journey of a lifetime.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Gallant_JJ

Drove across Mongolia a number of years ago, tough terrain with incredibly tough surfaces to contend with, I would imagine its very tough on the bikes. Epic journey, I'll be tuning in.

The sight of that plate of 'food' still make my stomach churn.

Gallant_JJ wrote: »
    Drove across Mongolia a number of years ago,
    What vehicle did you use?

A transit van, arguably the most inappropriate vehicle imaginable for the task. Drove it from Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭brocbrocach

Drove across Mongolia a number of years ago, tough terrain with incredibly tough surfaces to contend with, I would imagine its very tough on the bikes. Epic journey, I'll be tuning in.

The sight of that plate of 'food' still make my stomach churn.

I can't believe they only have one spare tyre between them. Also couldn't believe they only got one puncture going through Mongolian dirt roads.
    Seriously fantastic thing to do.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 omicron persei 8

I would be so worried about being attacked, robbed or sexually assaulted coming through some of the countries they are likely to pass through

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Interesting. A friend of mine is going the other way and would be pretty close (in relative terms) to where they are. Tell them to keep an eye out for him:http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=15431&v=9N

Another brilliant blog. I pity the poor lad though, looking forward to getting to Semey, arguably the glummest most depressing town I have ever been in.

The Russians carried out nuclear testing in proximity to the town, the results of which are still evident in the local population. A town time forgot.

A transit van, arguably the most inappropriate vehicle imaginable for the task. Drove it from Ireland.

Nice! Did you put anything up on the net about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭outfox

I think Christy Moore wrote a song about it

• Registered Users Posts: 8,798 ✭✭✭MiskyBoyy

I love following stories like this. The last one I really remember was the guy who cycled from Dublin to Beijing.

I also note from OP's brothers blog they met the Australian couple travelling on horseback. Had a look on their facebook page and seen they had 1 of their horses stolen only metres from their tent whilst they were sleeping in Mongolia. Ffs, bad enough without stuff like that happening!

• Registered Users Posts: 130 ✭✭Freddiestar

I would be so worried about being attacked, robbed or sexually assaulted coming through some of the countries they are likely to pass through

Not sure how you'd sexually assault someone on a bike but what do I know! You're right though they'd be better off staying indoors forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭WoollyWoman

Looking forward to following their adventure. Thanks for sharing. Hope they bump into "Crazyguyonabike" :-)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 27 omicron persei 8

Not sure how you'd sexually assault someone on a bike but what do I know! You're right though they'd be better off staying indoors forever.

1 man and 1 woman in the back arse of Mongolia happen upon a group of whatever intent on doing harm to the westerners. What hope have they??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,326 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

Jaysus, it started off as an admirable cycling adventure thread. Now it's gone Mongol rape hordes.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Redderneck

I'd sooner be doing the Mongolia Mooch on a bike than trying to cross Dublin during rush hour, if personal safety was my overriding concern.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Great photos, thanks for sharing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,368 ✭✭✭iwillhtfu

Do you worry about that cycling through Dublin or wherever you currently cycle. My point being the world is full of crazy everywhere.

Looks like a fantastic trip fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 358 ✭✭Rambling Man

Blowfish wrote: »
    Interesting. A friend of mine is going the other way and would be pretty close (in relative terms) to where they are. Tell them to keep an eye out for him:http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=tS&doc_id=15431&v=9N

This is a really good account, very entertaining. For this kind of touring, surely you need a neck like a jockey's b****ks

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭WearstheFoxhat

I can just about make it to my local pub on the bike, and that's downhill. Fair play to them

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I remember a Japanese guy cycling around the world eventually arrived in Dublin only for his bike to get stolen.

1 man and 1 woman in the back arse of Mongolia happen upon a group of whatever intent on doing harm to the westerners. What hope have they??

If this was the 13th century, I'd be worried.

I remember a Japanese guy cycling around the world eventually arrived in Dublin only for his bike to get stolen.

Noone locks their bike in Japan. Not even in Downtown Tokyo.

• Registered Users Posts: 11 CycLok

That's an unbelievable under taking! Thanks for sharing

• Registered Users Posts: 5,112 ✭✭✭Blowfish

Blowfish wrote: »
    Bit of a mini necro on this, but they ended up meeting up. Typically enough, despite being a random Irish encounter half way around the world from people who had never met and took completely different routes to get there, it turns out that they both have lived in Limerick and drank in the same local pub.

Here's a pic of them meeting in any case:
    KfvL7Am.jpg?1

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,824 ✭✭✭Qualitymark

Daroxtar wrote: »
    Jaysus, it started off as an admirable cycling adventure thread. Now it's gone Mongol rape hordes.

I lolzed!
    This is a really good account, very entertaining. For this kind of touring, surely you need a neck like a jockey's b****ks

Or vice versa?

Fair fair fair play to them! Stories to tell their gaping grandchildren!

Advertisement