Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

performance managed for reaching target but not exceeding it

Options
  • 26-08-2015 11:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭

Hi

Can anyone give me their opinions on this?

I currently work for a standard clerical style Job 40 hours a week,our work requires a 48 hour service level turn around,60 tasks per day and quality checks of 95 percent and above

Our bonus is also based on reaching these targets which above being 100 percent.

Our service level is always less than 24 hours and is never a problem, my quality is also always near perfect...However my tasks I reach generally by 2 o clock most days.

Currently there is no incentive to work past these targets but to just reach them,if you go over 100 percent on tasks there is no benifit as it is not recognise or appreciated,i mention this to my boss that I have reached 100 percent productivity by 2 o clock most days,the company we work for aren't great and my boss admits that and I discuss with them that when I reach my targets what should I do and they said keep working .

I then point out that if Iv reached 100 percent of what the company expect why should I work for more,iv reached what they expect also the company actively make it difficult to pay people for certain things etc...my boss then advised that I would be performance managed and disaplined.

Now don't think me ungrateful for my job or anything..All I'm asking is what is the point of given 168 percent productivity (which is what I usually achieve) when it's not recognised or appreciated and stopping when I reach 100 percent other then the threat of being disciplined

Has anyone been in this situation before where you exceed your role and no one benifit bar the company and off you were to stop when you have reached this target you are punished?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,630 ✭✭✭Aint Eazy Being Cheezy

The mistake you made was telling them that. Why do that? A shut mouth catches no flies. Next time just do what's expected of you and say no more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

The mistake you made was telling them that. Why do that? A shut mouth catches no flies. Next time just do what's expected of you and say no more.

But the problem is I can reach my productivity at two and sit there twiddling my thumbs but I'd be caught out and then disciplined for not working but I would have achieved my required work amount for that day..This is my predicament

• Registered Users Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭thefinalstage

But the problem is I can reach my productivity at two and sit there twiddling my thumbs but I'd be caught out and then disciplined for not working but I would have achieved my required work amount for that day..This is my predicament

Work slower

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,926 ✭✭✭davo10

Are targets not the minimum required? The three A's employers look for when considering promotion, attitude, aptitude and ambition. Telling your boss that you are done by 2pm and then wondering why you should bother doing more doesn't really tick those three boxes, you are good at what you do but will you progress?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,168 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

What davo said. What they are looking for is a worker who values what they do and wants to do it as well as they can. Exceeding targets may not be rewarded in immediate pay, but this is true of most jobs. There are longer term rewards for excellence in the form of promotion opportunities and other advancement.

(If there aren't in your case, then you are in a dead-end job when you are clearly capable of better. Don't wait to be disciplined; start looking around for a more challenging job that you will get more out of.)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭lifeandtimes

Peregrinus wrote: »
    What davo said. What they are looking for is a worker who values what they do and wants to do it as well as they can. Exceeding targets may not be rewarded in immediate pay, but this is true of most jobs. There are longer term rewards for excellence in the form of promotion opportunities and other advancement.

(If there aren't in your case, then you are in a dead-end job when you are clearly capable of better. Don't wait to be disciplined; start looking around for a more challenging job that you will get more out of.)

That is probably the best advice i have received regarding this issue.

I dont want to be someone who does the bar minimum but there is not incentive to work better i.e no chance of improvement or promotion within the company, i think i will start looking elsewhere

Thanks for that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,562 ✭✭✭Tiger Mcilroy

This is something i have seen first hand before, people making problems for themselves without trying to understand what the conversation will sound like from the managers perspective.

You may have a valid point but the manager is only hearing "why would i work on if its not benefitting me".. translates to im not bothered about the company which isnt a good impression to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭Batgurl

So let's get this right. You admit your performance relates to your bonus.

And you also admit that your target is very achievable, even going so far as to say too low.

Sounds to me like your manager is doing you a solid by negotiating a target for you which will guarantee you get your bonus and instead you are throwing it back in their face.

Attitudes like yours is what creates bad working environments. It would be best for your company to take your "feedback" on board and set your target so unachievably high that you fail to make your bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Op is in a clerical job. Even if she works 150% harder than what is required for a bonus, what is the marginal benefit to the company? How much extra money are they making/saving due to her extra output? Probably very little given the line of work she's in, unless she can save them money by doing the job of two clerical workers at once.

Bottom line, unless you find some way of making use of your extra time through cost saving/revenue generation, the company is unlikely to expect you to work harder or to pay you more.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If you're not challenged by your job and your company won't reward hard work with extra responsibilities and pay, then you leave and find a company that will.

You had the right idea by having the "I can do more, what can you do for me" conversation. But rather than just taking what they said and using your last 3 hours per day to find a new job, you told them you were going to sit around twiddling your thumbs. Of course they were going to discipline you for it.

• Advertisement
Advertisement