Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tyres for a Hilux

Options
  • 26-08-2015 11:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭

Well lads,stalking season is nearly upon us,i want to put some new rubber on my new hilux,it came with duelers on,and i'm just wondering what would be a good all rounder ,for road/field use.
    The BF Goodrichs have been mentioned to me,what do ye think ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭Kiltris

I find the General Grabbers AT a great tyre, good both on & off road. Just put 4 new ones on the Discovery @ €130 per tyre, good thread depth and a great wearing tyre.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭ecr

I. Have Bridgestone tyres on my hilux all the time and wudnt go past them and I do have that jeep in some serious places where tyres need to work good

• Registered Users Posts: 30 ldc

HI,
    use BF Goodrich A/T, great grip and phenomenal wear. Would not use anything else at this stage. Expensive but worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Had a set of BF Goodrich A/T's on my last jeep - great tyre but at c.200 a pop very expensive for what they are.

had a set of some kind of mud terrain tyres once and they made a lot of noise above 50mph on the road, but they were fabulous off-road.

The BF Goodrich are a hard-wearing tyre, but I could not find their treadwear rating on the sidewall.

You can pick yourself up a set of hard-wearing tyres if you examine the treadwear rating - the higher the number, the longer they will last. it's usually in very small writing on the sidewall, mostly on the outside, but sometimes on the inside sidewall.

400 is as high as I have seen, but 320 up will really last you. Just pick the tread you want.

I often buy cheap Chinese stuff with a good treadwear - they will last as well as better makes with the same rating. Often I find I have to replace a tyre only because the tracking is out and it wears unevenly, rather than because the tread is worn.

My bad. It's a shame to have to discard a tyre with a lot of tread on most of it, but if I paid more attention...

Just my 2c.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭doyle61

The best all round tyre I ever used on a jeep are the bf Goodrich at. Hated them in mud terrain though. Found cooper stt very good for mud tyre.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭steyrman

Got a set of BFG at in bradys of arklow for my hilux great tyres about 135 a corner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

steyrman wrote: »
    Got a set of BFG at in bradys of arklow for my hilux great tyres about 135 a corner

great price.

what size? - might get some - need 245/70 x 16 myself in next couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

ldc wrote: »
    HI,
    use BF Goodrich A/T, great grip and phenomenal wear. Would not use anything else at this stage. Expensive but worth it.

I echo this 100%

• Registered Users Posts: 2,668 ✭✭✭kay 9

Bfg ats. No contest. They'll see 50k miles before you'll think of changing them. They're also better in mud than bad mud terrains.

Advertisement