Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter Fine County Council 150 Euro

Options
  • 26-08-2015 9:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 42

Hi all,
    I recently got a litter fine for 150 Euro for leaving some bottles in a box on the ground at the nearby bottle bank. The reason I left them on the ground is because the bottle banks themselves were full. I did put some of them into the bank until the bank was totally full. I had brown bottles and didn't want to put the extra ones in the green bins because there was a sign saying not to mix bottles.
    I saw the sign saying CCTV in operation but thought I was doing the right thing by leaving the bottles in the box on the ground.
    I didn't actually receive the fine as the letter was registered and there was nobody there to receive it, just received the 10 day reminder last week. I actually called in to the county council office to explain today and the supervisor said I could complete an appeal form but that if I did that he would reject it. He also said that there was a 'no dumping sign' at the bank in question but I checked this today and it wasn't there. Even the officer in question thought this was harsh and that a warning letter would be more appropriate. Also the signage in places states that bank but it doe not explain what should be done with bottles when the bank is actually full. I just left mind on the ground in a box thinking the next collection was imminent.
    Would really like to hear your thoughts on this.
    Thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

This is quite common and quite straight forward. You did in fact commit an offence by littering. If bins are full you take your rubbish home, you do not leave it on the ground. Tough but correct action by the council.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭haveringchick

I know you feel hard done by but look at it this way. If everybody just dumped their box of bottles near the Bank on the basis that the Bank was full, then it would totally defeat the purpose.
    At this stage everyone knows, or should know, the rules. If the bank is full, take your bottles away with you, find another Bank , whatever.
    Just pay the fine, you littered, you won't do it again

• Registered Users Posts: 7,787 ✭✭✭slimjimmc

Not a consumer issue, moved to Sustainability & Environmental Issues

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,470 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You littered, end of.
    The box itself is litter, otherwise what did you think would happen to the cardboard...that it would magic itself away?
    If the banks were full you should have brought the stuff home or gone to a different bank in another area,

Leaving your stuff in a box on the ground beside the bank and thinking its ok is like claiming leaving your litter on the ground beside a full rubbish bin and thinking its ok, its not. Its litter and it takes time and tax payer money to clean up after people like yourself who think its ok to dump stuff.

All county councils are very very clear on this, for example:

http://www.mayococo.ie/en/Services/Environment/ReduceReuseRecycle/RecyclingCentres/BottleBanks/
    Please do not abuse these facilities by leaving rubbish or waste at them. Littering is an offence under the Litter Pollution Act and liable to an on the spot fine of €150. Please bring your bags/boxes home with you and reuse them again.

Leaving your recyclable items beside the bring banks, rather than placing them in the containers provided is illegal and costs time and money to clean up.

http://www.offaly.ie/eng/Services/Environment/Recycling/Bring%20Banks.html
    Remove bottle/jar lids and put into the can bank for recycling
    Please take your container home with you – we only want glass bottles/jars and cans here!
    Do not leave any household waste beside these bring banks. This may result in the banks being removed. It is an offence to leave waste beside a bring bank and the litter fine is €150 for such an offence.

Take any bags, boxes, containers home with you. Leaving bags and boxes at the bring bank is not recycling; it is littering. Any littering offence may result in a €150 on-the-spot fine or a prosecution under the Litter Pollution Act under which a maximum €3,000 fine (plus costs) may be imposed by a judge in the District Court.

http://www.fingalcoco.ie/environment/waste-and-recycling/bring-banks/
    Please don’t leave empty boxes, bag or bottletops or any other items beside or on top of the recycling containers. This is littering and you could be fined up to €150 if you’re caught. There may be CCTV cameras in operation at the bring banks.

Just pay the fine, learn and move on. You won't win on an appeal for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 Triman111

Appreciate the replies on this and thanks for advice.
    Just one other question: where do I stand if I did not actually receive the fine (due to not being at residence when it was sent) Just received follow up letter which was not registered.
    Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

How they found you - after your car plates?

Advertisement