Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SNA Course Portobello institute

Options
  • 26-08-2015 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi I'm looking for some advice. I want to do a sna course and I'm just wondering if any one knows or has done the SNA course in portobello institute part time? If so please let me know as I'm hoping to find some1 that maybe has done the course to tell me if it's worth it

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Be careful that and check first that any part-time course gives you a full qualification.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 edwina 123

spurious wrote: »
    Be careful that and check first that any part-time course gives you a full qualification.

It says I get a fetac level 5&6 qualification and that I'm a fully qualified SNA ?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,160 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Can you find the code of the qualification you get?

Can you find the code of the qualification you get?

For fetac level 5 it's 5N1786 and for level 6 it's 6N1957

They are both minor, or component awards.

I think they would be acceptable for a job as an SNA, but double check before doing the course. Also double check that your local VEC/ETB school does not offer such a course, as the ETBs are not for profit and offer courses much cheaper than private colleges like Portobello.

A full FETAC award could be pursued after these, such as Early Childhood Care & Education level 6 Major Award (ECCE with Montessori) or Early Childhood Care & Education level 6 Major Award (Supervision).

• Advertisement

They are both minor, or component awards.

I think they would be acceptable for a job as an SNA, but double check before doing the course. Also double check that your local VEC/ETB school does not offer such a course, as the ETBs are not for profit and offer courses much cheaper than private colleges like Portobello.

A full FETAC award could be pursued after these, such as Early Childhood Care & Education level 6 Major Award (ECCE with Montessori) or Early Childhood Care & Education level 6 Major Award (Supervision).

I'm slightly confused I want to be a SNA so I don't want to have to do any more courses after doing this course?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Before becoming an SNA, I will warn you of the hundreds of unemployed SNAs and how many schools are using Jobsbridge to get people to work as SNAs.

Before becoming an SNA, I will warn you of the hundreds of unemployed SNAs and how many schools are using Jobsbridge to get people to work as SNAs.

Would u know if the portobello is a good course to go? Would I get employed by doing this course if there were jobs going

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,486 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

edwina 123 wrote: »
    Would u know if the portobello is a good course to go? Would I get employed by doing this course if there were jobs going
    The problem is that any jobs must go to SNAs on the panel and that there are also hundreds of experienced SNAs who would be looking for the same few jobs.

The problem is that any jobs must go to SNAs on the panel and that there are also hundreds of experienced SNAs who would be looking for the same few jobs.

OK thanks for the reply. I'm just interested in doing the course so I'm wondering if anyone has any information on any sna courses that are part time that would be worth doing so at least I would have done a good course that I'm interested in

• Advertisement
Advertisement