Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Amazon Underground - Free Apps

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭Toast

Has anyone gotten anything out of this? I keep downloading what claims to be the underground app but it appears to be just the regular Amazon app. If you then try and select an app that is tagged as "actually free" you get a message saying to download the Amazon Underground app which brings you to a page saying it can't be downloaded due to geographical restrictions. Seems to be a bit of a botched launch.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,465 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Freemium games say "In-App Purchases: FREE"
    Wow... I'll watch this thread with interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,432 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Thanks OP.

Updated my amazon app, and now the splash screen says underground when you load it up.

I'm curious though, like Mr E when it comes to free IAP.
    I see there's a Rovio game there, and they have some dear IAP's from what I remember.

Wonder will that be free? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭P0lygon Wind0w

Did anyone actually get a FREE app from this? I'm getting a Geo Restriction problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 decorativejunk

Yes I got watchmaker Premium free after downloading and upgrading to underground version.
    there are are quite a few paid apps (mostly games) are available as free. change the country to US and you will be good to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

I'm getting a geo-restriction message when I search the Amazon.co.uk website (on a PC) for "actually free" apps, but on the Android app instead I'm getting a message saying I need to upgrade my app to Amazon Underground app, in order to download anything with "actually free" on it.

This message is coming up inside the latest Amazon Underground app itself. I know this because I humoured it and followed the instruction to download the app from within the message. Only to install the exact same version again and receive the same stupid message.
    I have tried this on five different devices, all to no avail.
    (This happens no matter what country I set the app.)

One way or another Amazon seems to want me to f off. LOL.

Yes I got watchmaker Premium free after downloading and upgrading to underground version.
    there are are quite a few paid apps (mostly games) are available as free. change the country to US and you will be good to go.

I did that on the app, searched for an app that is FREE but still tells me I can't get it. Frustrating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

duridian wrote: »
    I'm getting a geo-restriction message when I search the Amazon.co.uk we

They can tell you're in Kerry try driving up to ballyvourney or abbeyfeale t will work then :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

just installed it to test, downloaded cut the rope 2 and bought the max coins possible (69.99 normally) it shows as free and now i have 50000 coins :P wonder how this works

• Advertisement

duridian wrote: »
    I'm getting a geo-restriction message when I search the Amazon.co.uk website (on a PC) for "actually free" apps, but on the Android app instead I'm getting a message saying I need to upgrade my app to Amazon Underground app, in order to download anything with "actually free" on it.

This message is coming up inside the latest Amazon Underground app itself. I know this because I humoured it and followed the instruction to download the app from within the message. Only to install the exact same version again and receive the same stupid message.
    I have tried this on five different devices, all to no avail.
    (This happens no matter what country I set the app.)

One way or another Amazon seems to want me to f off. LOL.

Exactly the same problem I have. I wonder what others have done differently.

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Doodlebug

just installed it to test, downloaded cut the rope 2 and bought the max coins possible (69.99 normally) it shows as free and now i have 50000 coins :P wonder how this works

This was announced a while ago, with several Irish news outlets carrying the press release - Examiner, Irish Mirror, BreakingNews.ie, etc.

However, I've not been able to get anywhere with it, despite having downloaded loads of "Free app of the day" promotional apps in the past.

Anyone who has successfully downloaded an "Actually Free" app and has confirmed free in-app purchases... How did you do it?

I suspect that someone at Amazon has screwed up and included the Republic along with the UK in their press release - or am I doing something wrong??!

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭kendragon

Tried it out with Coin Dozer. It allowed me to 'purchase' Dozer Dollars for free. I was able to take one of each category and there was a two day timer to get more afterwards.

kendragon wrote: »
    Tried it out with Coin Dozer. It allowed me to 'purchase' Dozer Dollars for free. I was able to take one of each category and there was a two day timer to get more afterwards.

Anything special you needed to do with your account (location, etc.)? I've tried web browser & app - no joy. "Geographic restriction" :(

its still working fine for me..free apps and free in app purchases...now if only an app/game I actually wanted :P
    Doodlebug wrote: »
    This was announced a while ago, with several Irish news outlets carrying the press release - Examiner, Irish Mirror, BreakingNews.ie, etc.

However, I've not been able to get anywhere with it, despite having downloaded loads of "Free app of the day" promotional apps in the past.

Anyone who has successfully downloaded an "Actually Free" app and has confirmed free in-app purchases... How did you do it?

I suspect that someone at Amazon has screwed up and included the Republic along with the UK in their press release - or am I doing something wrong??!

Do you have a US / UK Amazon account?

Just spotted on the request page that you are directed to (to download the Underground in the first place):

XeRWXBp.png

Doodlebug wrote: »
    Anything special you needed to do with your account (location, etc.)? I've tried web browser & app - no joy. "Geographic restriction" :(

I didn't do anything out of the ordinary that comes to mind.

Do you have a UK address set up on your account?

I do but its not my default

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭mik_da_man

Working fine for me.
    However I do have a UK and US account.
    When I go to purchase it shows prices in USD but downloads and installs fine

• Advertisement

Hmmm... I've added a US delivery address, but still the same.

This BA is so close, yet so far away! :)

I added a UK one, same for me unfortunately.

i have always...since 1999 had a .com and .co.uk account. I use the .com for my kindle books etc (I get charged in USD) so maybe thats what it is? But my Irish address is on all of it...but maybe thats it

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Don't you have to have your Device aligned to a UK or US address (click Your Account (don't use the drop-down),Scroll to digital content : Manage your devices, Settings, Country)?
    Setting that to US always got around Free App Of The Day geographic restrictions in the past. You need an address in the US / UK first in order to set that I think.

Crazy amount of permissions requested by the Underground app...

I added a UK address a few days ago and it didn't work so I thought nothing of it. I went into the Amazon App this morning and I'm seeing lots of "Actually Free" badges on lots of games. Happy days. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭RunRoryRun

Hey all - was having the location issue too. Underground on .co.uk only available to UK customers. I went into settings, and added a UK address (just made one up). Then went to devices and selected that address for my phone.

Underground works perfectly for me now. Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Occono

RunRoryRun wrote: »
    Hey all - was having the location issue too. Underground on .co.uk only available to UK customers. I went into settings, and added a UK address (just made one up). Then went to devices and selected that address for my phone.

Underground works perfectly for me now. Hope this helps.

Under devices? I don't see any address-related settings under devices.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

I've made no changes to my address and it works fine.

I have it working now too
    Here's what I did

1. Go to Your Account - Manage Addresses
    2. Add a UK address - You can randomly generate one here
    3. After you have entered it, set it as your default Billing address
    4. Now go to manage content and devices, set Current Country to UK
    5. On the Amazon Site, search for a free game (Such as Goat Simulator) - you should be able to purchase now
    6. Go to the App. Make sure your country is set to UK. Go to My Apps - Cloud - Refresh
    7. Now your App account should be updated to let you browse and install the Actually Free apps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Hallelujah - this worked perfectly. Thanks!

Advertisement