Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Re-registering a birth cert

Options
  • 26-08-2015 3:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all

Just looking for some advice here, & some clarification if possible. I'm not named on my sons birth certificate, and would like to rectify that. It wasn't done originally because my sons mother and myself broke up around the time of the birth, & things got a bit messy for a long time. Fast forward to now, and everything is fine and amicable so there's no problem from the mothers perspective about having my name added to the birth cert.

I phoned Treoir the other day for some advice, & I think I understand now that if I'm to go into the registration office myself, I'll need two forms fully completed and ready to go (forms CRA2 & CRA4). CRA2 is for myself, whereas CRA4 is a form for the mother which gets correctly witnessed etc. So I've two questions, that Treoir couldn't really give me an answer to:

1) If I bring these two forms in myself, does the mother need to partake any further in the process? Ie, can I handle all the running around without her having to go into the registration office herself?

2) Treoir said I might be 'asked some questions', relating to why the re-registration is only being carried out now, with my son being a lot older. Obviously things between his mother & myself weren't the most amicable during these years, and because things are easier now is why I'd like to have my name on the cert - is this an 'acceptable' answer for such 'questions being asked'? Honestly, I'm not really sure what else to say to such a question, but hearing that from Treoir kind of made me feel that I'm somehow going to have to explain myself for all this to the registrar or something?

Any advice is greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It says on the HSE website - http://www.hse.ie/go/birth/
    The father may complete a declaration form acknowledging that he is the father of the child (Form CRA 2), and may go to the Registrar's Office himself, bringing with him a declaration by the mother naming the father (Form CRA 4)

Which I would take to mean that the mother does not have to accompany the father once he has the declaration.

If you're still unsure though, give your local registration office (in Dublin, this is Lombard House) a call and ask their advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks January, that's my understanding of it too. I'll call them to be sure though. I'm a bit dubious about it all now though, the rep from Treoir has me feeling like I might be grilled by the registrar regarding why this is all happening only now, years after my sons birth...barring that things were messy, there's nothing else to say & I'm not sure if that'll be enough for them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

It will be more than enough once the mother signs the declaration to be honest past that it's none of their business.

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Thanks very much January, hopefully that's the case. I appreciate the input

Advertisement