Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Susi grant and P60 info

Options
  • 26-08-2015 12:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭

Hi.
    I am applying for the Susi grant and they have requested info from me such as P60 info etc, all the usual.

Thing is, I have come back from 2yrs in Canada recently. I was working as a plumber over there and for the year of 2014, I earned almost 60,000 dollars.

Would earning this much influence my grant eligiblity?? I am applying as being dependent on my parents as I am back living with my parents now.
    I called Susi and they said, if I could contact the revenue in Canada and request the equivelant info.

But I am just reluctant to tell them so much info or am I being paranoid?? I just dont want to tell them too much and then miss out on the grant!

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭rudders

I think the cap for the grant stops at 45k. If you earned 60k last year then I doubt you'll have any chance of getting a grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭hytrogen

andyd12 wrote: »
    Hi.
    I am applying for the Susi grant and they have requested info from me such as P60 info etc, all the usual.

Thing is, I have come back from 2yrs in Canada recently. I was working as a plumber over there and for the year of 2014, I earned almost 60,000 dollars.

Would earning this much influence my grant eligiblity?? I am applying as being dependent on my parents as I am back living with my parents now.
    I called Susi and they said, if I could contact the revenue in Canada and request the equivelant info.

But I am just reluctant to tell them so much info or am I being paranoid?? I just dont want to tell them too much and then miss out on the grant!

Thanks

I think this ties into your residency in the last 5 years issue first?
    You should have an accountant so get them to copy you a letter of earnings if Revenue in Canada don't get back in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭andyd12

hytrogen wrote: »
    I think this ties into your residency in the last 5 years issue first?
    You should have an accountant so get them to copy you a letter of earnings if Revenue in Canada don't get back in time.

I spent exactly one day under 2yrs in canada so it will be fine I think

rudders wrote: »
    I think the cap for the grant stops at 45k. If you earned 60k last year then I doubt you'll have any chance of getting a grant.
    Sorry this figure is in canadian dollars, so 60k dollars would be equivalent to 40k euro roughly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

Sorry this figure is in canadian dollars, so 60k dollars would be equivalent to 40k euro roughly

Yes, but you would also include your parents income in the total.

You may have to apply a change to circumstances that you are no longer earning this type of money and your earnings will be based on this years possible earnings.

• Advertisement

Sup08 wrote: »
    Yes, but you would also include your parents income in the total.

You may have to apply a change to circumstances that you are no longer earning this type of money and your earnings will be based on this years possible earnings.
    Oh ok, I see. I have looked at the change of circumstances option just now. Thing is my circumstances didnt really change until june this year, when I left Canada, I finished my work around mid May!
    Would this rule me out for a change in circumstance, or could I argue the money i was earning there was only really achievable there?? And my visa finished?
    Thanks

Oh ok, I see. I have looked at the change of circumstances option just now. Thing is my circumstances didnt really change until june this year, when I left Canada, I finished my work around mid May!
    Would this rule me out for a change in circumstance, or could I argue the money i was earning there was only really achievable there?? And my visa finished?
    Thanks

Yes, that's a change before you started college and is still applicable.

• Registered Users Posts: 41,017 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Thanks

You can argue a change of circumstances at any stage

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

Sup08 wrote: »
    Yes, that's a change before you started college and is still applicable.
    Ok Cool thank you, I will call them tomorrow

Orrrr what if I just play dumb and say I didnt really work in Canada!?

You can argue a change of circumstances at any stage

Yes you can apply for a change in circumstances at any time but the change is only applied from when the change actually happened.
    Also SUSI may set a limit on the timeframe at which you must notify them of the change, once the applications have closed.

A person claiming a change to family income through loss of a job, 4 or 5 months after the change had occurred, may not be allowed to make an application after the closing date because an application could have been made when the change happened although the applicant was not or may have not been eligible for the grant prior to the change.

This is solely up to the awarding authority after the closing date.

• Advertisement

Ok Cool thank you, I will call them tomorrow

Orrrr what if I just play dumb and say I didnt really work in Canada!?

Two years in Canada with no work, then you may have to them evidence of how you supported yourself for the duration of your stay. Much harder to show when it doesn't exist.

Advertisement