Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

VTOS, BTEA, Fees grants.

Options
  • 26-08-2015 9:49am
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi there,

My situation is as follows:
    I returned to Ireland from the UK in 2013 and went onto a ETB course to stave off unemployment boredom. It was a computer technician, networking and server administration course. I took to it and have since been onto a programming course in quick succession.

I want to do a computer science degree, but have not really got a background in the subject. I did do 2 years of a degree in the UK, but due to shortfalls in money I didn't complete it. I do not want to be short of money again, but am unemployed and wish to go back to Uni.

I am considering doing a FETAC link course to better improve my application. One in particular having a direct connection to the degree.

My questions:

1. If I can get VTOS for the FETAC course, what (if any) effect would this have on a later application for BTEA (should I get accepted to CompSci)?

2. Will I be eligible for free fees or BTEA having attended an educational institute in the UK? Although I came away with what supposedly equates to a Level 6 qualification.

3. As of March 2016 it will have been 5 years since leaving the prior degree program, what effect will attending a PLC course have on my eligibility for being a second-chance mature student?

I'm eager for advisement given my situation and it is getting close to CAO application season. I thank you for your time and look forward to your advise or questions.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

ADJC1987 wrote: »

1. If I can get VTOS for the FETAC course, what (if any) effect would this have on a later application for BTEA (should I get accepted to CompSci)?
    I am unsure on the answer to this..sorry.
    2. Will I be eligible for free fees or BTEA having attended an educational institute in the UK? Although I came away with what supposedly equates to a Level 6 qualification.
    If you have a level 6 qualification, then you need to be entering level 7 to qualify for grant assistance. If you did not get the level 6 qualification then you must be entering year 3 of a degree course to be eligible for grant assistance.
    3. As of March 2016 it will have been 5 years since leaving the prior degree program, what effect will attending a PLC course have on my eligibility for being a second-chance mature student?
    You do not qualify for this as you have already stated you attended an ETB course which means you were still studying and therefore do not have a gap of 5 years or more in your studies. The 5 years or more gap from one degree course (unfinished) to another degree course (new) must be unbroken.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 ADJC1987

Sup08 wrote: »

If you have a level 6 qualification, then you need to be entering level 7 to qualify for grant assistance. If you did not get the level 6 qualification then you must be entering year 3 of a degree course to be eligible for grant assistance.

Thank you for replying. Say I have the level 6 qualification, does entering level 7 also mean entering year 3 of a degree course? or just entering onto a degree course that is level 7 or greater? As my qualification is in an unrelated Social Science rather than STEM.

You do not qualify for this as you have already stated you attended an ETB course which means you were still studying and therefore do not have a gap of 5 years or more in your studies. The 5 years or more gap from one degree course (unfinished) to another degree course (new) must be unbroken.

Ah I see. So it does not matter if the ETB course is not a FETAC or QQI accredited? Shame.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,670 ✭✭✭Sup08

ADJC1987 wrote: »
    Thank you for replying. Say I have the level 6 qualification, does entering level 7 also mean entering year 3 of a degree course? or just entering onto a degree course that is level 7 or greater? As my qualification is in an unrelated Social Science rather than STEM.

If you received the level 6 qualification, you may be eligible for a further 2 years at level 7 (Max amount of study allowed at level 6 and 7 combined is 4 years even if you received no funding) and/or 4 years at a level 8.

If you did not receive the full level 6 qualification then you would have to be entering year 3 of either a level 7 or 8 to be eligible.

Advertisement