Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

height of a teenager

Options
  • 25-08-2015 11:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 34

I'll start off by saying I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I'd appreciate some help. I'm 15 not far off 16 and I'm 5'7. Is this an average height for my age, as lots of fellas around my age seem taller, like 5'9 or so?
    Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

I'm 19 and 5'10, so is my dad.

Both of my younger brothers (14 & 16) are just about 6 foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

I'm 20 and 5'7, so probably close to finished growing.

At 16 I was very small though; about 5'2-5'3, and then gained about 4 inches one summer.

Either way don't get p*ssed off because your shorter than other lads your age. I used to despise the fact I was small, but now I really couldn't give a sh*te (I realised there were far worse things about me to be annoyed about :pac:)

Learn to embrace being short. It could help you in sports, but if that's not your thing, just be glad you're short when you see a 6'3 lad whack his head off the ceiling on a double-decker bus.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 shane lad

I'm 20 and 5'7, so probably close to finished growing.

At 16 I was very small though; about 5'2-5'3, and then gained about 4 inches one summer.

Either way don't get p*ssed off because your shorter than other lads your age. I used to despise the fact I was small, but now I really couldn't give a sh*te (I realised there were far worse things about me to be annoyed about :pac:)

Learn to embrace being short. It could help you in sports, but if that's not your thing, just be glad your short when you see a 6'3 lad whack his head off the ceiling on a double-decker bus.

Hahahaha sound man

When I was 11-12, I went through a growth spurt, where I grew to 5'7. Now, at 30, I'm 5'11. Some people are taller, some people are shorter. It shouldn't be too much of an issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,098 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Growth comes in spurts, and the timing of the spurts is unpredictable in any individual. At 15/16, your growth spurts are usually not finished coming yet, so even if you are below average height for other 15/16 year-olds, the situation could easily be reversed in twelve months' time. So this is nothing to worry about.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,188 ✭✭✭DoYouEvenLift

5'7 at 16 isn't a bad height, just make sure you're eating well, exercising and getting enough rest and you'll grow as much as you're naturally predetermined to. It's very possible you'll grow more over the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 GoingBonkers

Im 21 and still 5;7 5;8 so I'd say youre doing pretty good ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,996 ✭✭✭xabi

shane lad wrote: »
    I'll start off by saying I don't know if I'm in the right place, but I'd appreciate some help. I'm 15 not far off 16 and I'm 5'7. Is this an average height for my age, as lots of fellas around my age seem taller, like 5'9 or so?
    Thanks

According to this, you can probably expect another 2 inches or so, everyone's different though, how tall is your father?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭Greyian

When I turned 16, I was about 5'7" or 5'8". By the time I turned 18, I was over 6'1", and now (mid 20s) I'm 6'4".

At 15/16 years of age, its perfectly normal to have big differences in stature/weight between people. There was a guy in my class who was 5'8" in 6th class, and started growing a full beard by 2nd year. He looked like a giant to us then. Now, in his mid 20s, he's about 5'9", so he pretty much stopped growing once he hit his teens. It's different for everybody, and it isn't something people need to worry about (in general, of course there are people with hormone problems etc who would require medical attention, but at 5'7"/15 years of age, that wouldn't apply to you).

My dad is 5'10

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,175 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

I was about that at 15 as well. One Monday morning not too long after I turned 17 I woke up and found that I was 6'2''. I kid you not, it can happen very nearly overnight. Chin up, lad. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭The Diddakoi

My youngest son was 16 last year, and 5ft 6 the day he went back to school.

Just sent all 5ft 11 of him back to school yesterday !!

Plenty of time for more growing ;)

Haha, nice. It's not really bothering me, I was just interested to find out the average height

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Steve320

At 16 I was 6ft 2 , I'm 21 now and 6ft3 so didn't grow much
    My brother on the other hand was 5ft 6(ish) at 15 now he's 17 and 6ft height is nothing to worry about if it happens it happens

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

When I finished school there was a guy that was about 5'6". I met him about two years later he was almost my height and I'm 6'4" so it ain't over until the fat lady sings and even if you don't gain much, your height makes little difference in life. I was traumatised by going bald very young and at the time, you could do little to convince me it wasn't the most important thing but I soon realised there are little things about oneself that makes that much difference. It's the whole that matters.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭Nebaw

Im 21 and im 5'5", Id embrace the 5'7" if i where you haha!

Advertisement