Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Any recommendation for a sub €200 phone?

Options
  • 25-08-2015 8:23pm
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Girlfriend lost her HTC One M7 - loved it and wants something similar. I can get get another used one for €200 - but wondering what else I can get new online that might be as good or better. Are there any well known decent mid range android phones with good cameras for this money? Chinese ones etc?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,664 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Zascar wrote: »
    Girlfriend lost her HTC One M7 - loved it and wants something similar. I can get get another used one for €200 - but wondering what else I can get new online that might be as good or better. Are there any well known decent mid range android phones with good cameras for this money? Chinese ones etc?

Right I'm going to say it before someone else says it. Then you can close the thread.

Vodafone smart prime ultra 6.

170 euros 5 euro to unlock it.

You're welcome.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Thanks I did not know about that, looks great. The only thing is it might be too big for her, she thinks my OnePlus is to big.
    Is there any alternative thats not quite as big?

Thanks I did not know about that, looks great. The only thing is it might be too big for her, she thinks my OnePlus is to big.
    Is there any alternative thats not quite as big?

Zascar, just convince her that bigger is better! Sure the new iPhone is even bigger. Can't help you with anything smaller worth getting!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Good point! ;)

One question, when you say €5 to unlock - how is this done?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,210 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

My gf thought my OnePlus looked ridiculous when I got it first, then used it for two days and bought one.

The 5.5" screen takes some getting used to in terms of typing and two hand use etc, and it doesn't fit in some of my pockets, but I think I would never use a smaller phone again. It is my favourite phone to type on since my BlackBerry Bold.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭DopeTech

You get used to the screen size after about a day. Same as above, I don't think I'll buy a smaller phone again.

Good point! ;)

By code, you can get them from eBay. Check the ba thread post #1 for the link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,766 ✭✭✭RossieMan

Have a look at some of the Chinese options. 5.5 inch is very big for some people, doesn't suit everyone, as with the smart prime which I personally wouldn't have. Some great sub 200 phones if you don't mind a Chinese brand.

Good point! ;)

Ebay! It's handy dandy

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

RossieMan wrote: »
    Have a look at some of the Chinese options. 5.5 inch is very big for some people, doesn't suit everyone, as with the smart prime which I personally wouldn't have. Some great sub 200 phones if you don't mind a Chinese brand.

Any name recommendations? I've no idea whats good...

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 950 ✭✭✭mickmackmcgoo

Try Huawei Y625. 5 inch screen 8 mp camera and expandable memory ,reduced to 80 euro in Tesco from 130 . Great value

I'd avoid China tbh, you can be be hit with customs, it can take weeks to arrive, maybe counterfeit, and if it doesn't work when it arrives... Well good luck with that.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

I'd avoid China tbh, you can be be hit with customs, it can take weeks to arrive, maybe counterfeit, and if it doesn't work when it arrives... Well good luck with that.

Yeah why bother with all that hassle when you can get something like the su6 that won't break the bank.

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Yeah why bother with all that hassle when you can get something like the su6 that won't break the bank.

Because you can get better spec'd phones for the same price shipped from their EU warehouses with no customs in the same time.

Not saying the Ultra 6 is the wrong choice. There are reasons to choose it over some Chinese alternatives (updates, returns policy etc.) but those mentioned aren't the ones in my book.

......small minded people. Not everyone wants a 5.5 inch phone. Show me a decent 5 inch phone available in Ireland for under 200?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

New Moto G or Alcatel Idol 4.7 if you really want a smaller phone. I've ordered the Idol 4.7, had a bigger phone, big screen nice but just that little too big, I'd rather have a small phone and a separate tablet . Both the above sub200 also.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,638 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The new moto G is the most ideal phoned recommend OP. There is a hard on in the forum for the ultra. But most girls I know do not like large phones that's just something of fact.

I've had 2 moto gs I bought the last gen for herself and she loves it.

It's a lot of phone for your buck and moto have tweaked the OS to work extremely kindly with the processor that it runs like butter. I'd steer clear of the more off the wall Chinese options when dealing with girlfriends you want something that you can give her and leave with zero issues. Moto is that from my experience

Isn't the new Moto G close to 300 bucks?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 9,922 ✭✭✭dodzy

If you don't want the 5.5" screen, then here's your lad. Plus you'll have 5c change. Bullet proof.

Yea, I wouldn't get a Chinese phone personally. If you read the thread that was doing the rounds recently, you'll see that a few people were caught by customs. Sure, it works out cheaper, but it's essentially a game of Russian roulette with customs.

Plus I believe there can be issues with 4G networks, because there's are set up differently to ours. At least I have a vague memory of that the last time I was checking.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,903 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Yea, I wouldn't get a Chinese phone personally. If you read the thread that was doing the rounds recently, you'll see that a few people were caught by customs. Sure, it works out cheaper, but it's essentially a game of Russian roulette with customs.

Plus I believe there can be issues with 4G networks, because there's are set up differently to ours. At least I have a vague memory of that the last time I was checking.

It can be hit and miss regarding customs. But even factoring this in, you can still get better quality phones - unlocked - for half the price of buying a top end phone here with bill pay. Yes I know the Smart VF has been mentioned and is great value, but still plenty of options from Chinese sites that more of are now shipping from European warehouses.

As for 4g, you can check http://www.willmyphonework.net/ to see if the phone you want will work here. So its not all blind buying in the hope you get lucky anymore.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 503 ✭✭✭JonDoe

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-LTE-5-5-Lenovo-K3-Note-Android-Smartphone-Dual-SIM-Octa-Core-2GB-16GB-3G-UK-/131532489038?hash=item1e9ff2814e

4G LTE 5.5" Lenovo K3 Note Android Smartphone Dual SIM Octa Core 2GB 16GB 3G UK

Great phone, for the price you can't get better specs. Had mine for 2 months now and no glitches. It's been produced for the chinese market so one or 2 apps included still have some chinese writing in places no biggie in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,307 ✭✭✭Xenoronin

In pretty much the same situation as OP, including the OPO :L
    Currently looking at the Mi4i. 16gb storage, 2gb ram, MIUI ROM running on lollypop. 13mp back cam, 5mp front. 5" screen. Gotta say it ticks all the boxes right now. MIUI is a bit RAM hungry but can probably live with that or look around for a new ROM if necessary. €230 approx to Ireland. Guy on adverts selling them. Seem to be available from resellers with european warehouses now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,407 ✭✭✭droidman123

https://europe.oppostyle.com/r5s-grey

offer only valid until tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭bert911

New UK based Wileyfox selling under 200 phone with good customer support & warranty , look very like oneplus one design http://wileyfox.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭dieseldog

I'm surprised that Samsung hasn't been suggested. Or maybe I missed it. They do have a price tag but are popular for a reason.

I have had a s4 mini (dual sim) for the last 2 years. It's the first phone in 10 years which I didn't change after 12 months.

I would suggest however being wary with ebay. I bought mine through ebay from a seller in Scotland but the phone came from Dubai. It turned out that it's the asian model so if something goes wrong with it then Samsung won't entertain me in Ireland.

The s5 has a 5.1 inch screen and looks pretty cool.

Samsung is completely overpriced for what you get. That's why they haven't been mentioned.

Wrong class of phone, plus anyone i know with the S5 it over heats in your hand.

• Advertisement

dieseldog wrote: »
    I'm surprised that Samsung hasn't been suggested. Or maybe I missed it. They do have a price tag but are popular for a reason.

I have had a s4 mini (dual sim) for the last 2 years. It's the first phone in 10 years which I didn't change after 12 months.

I would suggest however being wary with ebay. I bought mine through ebay from a seller in Scotland but the phone came from Dubai. It turned out that it's the asian model so if something goes wrong with it then Samsung won't entertain me in Ireland.

The s5 has a 5.1 inch screen and looks pretty cool.

Well this thread is for phone recommendations under 200 euro. The galaxy s5 is 400 euro and wouldn't be a whole lot better than the smart ultra prime.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement