Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Annual Leave nightmare

Options
  • 25-08-2015 8:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I booked annual leave for the end of Sept and put the leave request in in July to my line manager. I found out last week that my leave wasn't approved because it was put in three weeks after I had originally requested it to my line manager. There are other staff members I work with who have now booked annual leave for the same dates I have and it has been approved, even though their requests went in after mine - all because my line manager forgot!!

I mentioned it today and it was met with a shrug. No one can tell me if I have anything to go on. I was told the leave request was put through and it turned out it wasn't, but in the meantime I had been given the go ahead to book the trip. In my job the staff have no contact with the department who put through annual leave, days off, etc. - it all goes through your line manager.

I'm not sure if I have any kind of rights here - can anyone help me out? I don't know if I should be going to HR or to the Union or if I should just sit down and accept it?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,270 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

The company has the right to schedule your leave; hence on that basis they can easily go with the tough luck answer and hence a "sucks to be you" kind of moment. I doubt the union will kick up a whole lot of fuss about a line manager who forgot to put it in (unless it's part of a larger complaint against said manager).

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

If the annual leave was verbally agreed with your line manager then that's all that really matters. It doesn't matter when it went into any system, it only matters when you got agreement from the company (your manager) of when the leave was being taken.

That your manager forgot is his problem and he now needs to figure out how to deal with being a staff member down at that time.

Needs a bit of balls from your part though. If the company aren't willing to let you go, then confirm with them that they're going to compensate you for the cost of cancelling your plans. If they won't then simply re-iterate that the holiday was verbally approved on X date and if they want you to now work that time, they will need to compensate you for items already booked.

If their counter argument is that your leave was "put in the system" on Y date, then continue repeating the fact that it was approved on X date. CC your manager on everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,505 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

The thing that may leverage things for you is if you have a paper trail to show you submitted the request in the first place.

If this is done by e-mail then you should have proof enough that a mistake was made on the managers end of things and so you should be able to leverage things a bit.. Even if it means going above his head.

If you've no proof then I'm afraid its not really a winning position to be in..

Advertisement