Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who can request an unlock code?

Options
  • 25-08-2015 7:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭

Asked this on the Vodafone forum but feel posters here are more knowledgeable.

I need an unlock code from Vodafone for a phone I got from my brother. He used it on Vodafone PAYG, but got it from a friend new who had an upgrade.

Who can request the code? Does it have to be the original purchaser?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

I think if you have the phone and can provide the IMEI then they will give you the unlock code.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

It is usually the original owner who is supposed to request the unlock code. You can usually get them eBay for a fee too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,929 ✭✭✭dodzy

nedd wrote: »
    I think if you have the phone and can provide the IMEI then they will give you the unlock code.
    It is usually the original owner who is supposed to request the unlock code.

Wrong on both counts I'm afraid

Typically, if you are PAYG, you will need to top up by as much as €127 with VF to allow an unlock request.

Easiest way is if you have a friend on bill pay with VF, they will be able to avail of a few free NACs each year. This is obtained by the bill payer requesting the unlock code via their login on Vodafone.ie.

Easy enough.

As previously mentioned, EBAY is also a potential option.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,214 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Thanks for the responses, my brother has topped up by 127e so I will get him to try it, otherwise I will try find a friend on bill pay. Assuming they can then do it for any Vodafone phone (e.g. if they haven't bought it originally?)

Assuming they can then do it for any Vodafone phone (e.g. if they haven't bought it originally?)
    yes, 100%. With the exception of iPhones. Not sure on that.

• Advertisement

dodzy wrote: »
    yes, 100%. With the exception of iPhones. Not sure on that.
    It is an iPhone (asked on here as people are more knowledgeable than the Apple forum which is quite dead)

It's worth a try, for sure. Just get the bill-payer to submit the request online. I'm fairly certain that the CSA that receives the request has discretion as in I don't believe that all NAC requests have to approved by a senior supervisor or the likes. Once it's requested, you get it.

I've rang on behalf of a few friends and the CSA who takes the call (usually egyptian nowadays), just processes the request there and then if they qualify. 3-5 days later, it's done.

Once approved, the process is a little more tedious with the iphone in that you have to backup to PC & restore from itunes and you will then get the 'Congratulations. Your iphone has been successfully unlocked' as opposed to the far easier method of just entering a code on 99.9% of other handsets.

EDIT: Just seen your brother has topped up by €127 and it was his phone. Just get him to ring PAYG and it'll be done !

Thanks for your help

Wasn't his phone though, he got it from someone else's upgrade

Advertisement