Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Committee Sean McPhilemy

Options
  • 25-08-2015 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭

Anybody here who has actually read this book? Pretty stunning really how deep the corruption in the RUC/UDR was that was revealed by the book and the Dispatches programme which was shown about 6-7 years prior to the books eventual publication. Obviously we now know a lot more about the level of corruption and collusion involved but it is still very scary reading about how involved in terrorism those supposed to uphold the law were themsleves and to what lengths they would go to destroy those who would speak out and expose them.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,678 ✭✭✭Crooked Jack

Never read it but I'll look it up. Youve probably already read it as it's pretty well known but if you want terrifying then Lethal Allies by Anne Cadwallader is blood curdling. They were so brazen after a few years that they didnt even bother changing out of their uniforms to go killing people.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,066 ✭✭✭✭Happyman42

Has a former member of the RUC ever been either charged or questioned about collusion?

If so, could you point me to the case?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭eire4

Never read it but I'll look it up. Youve probably already read it as it's pretty well known but if you want terrifying then Lethal Allies by Anne Cadwallader is blood curdling. They were so brazen after a few years that they didnt even bother changing out of their uniforms to go killing people.

It could be a hard one to find. It was banned from publication in Britain when it came out originally in 1998. It was published only in the US and then I believe David Trimble sued amazon for selling it and from what I can see is no longer carried by amazon in the US or in print at all. I have heard of Lethal Allies as well but have not read that one yet. Will have to get to it though for sure. What makes The Committee so chilling is that the book details the formation of an inner force and even more extreme an inner circle within the RUC that outright worked in harmony with loyalist terrorists to committ murder from about 1989-1994.

Happyman42 wrote: »
    Has a former member of the RUC ever been either charged or questioned about collusion?

Well the RUC was given a file containing up to 19 names of The Committee which organized and ran the murder conspiracy. But amazingly instead of an independant inquiry the RUC was allowed to investigate itself and predicatably reached the conclusion that no such Committee including RUC members exixted. In a crazy twist the then RUC chief Constable managed to declare in public before the so called inquiry had begun that the allegations were false.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,015 ✭✭✭✭A Dub in Glasgo

I have it, read it about 10 years ago

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 656 ✭✭✭TOMASJ

Happyman42 wrote: »

Or, has any member of the british army ever been charged or questioned about murdering 14 people in Derry in 1972,

Looks like their's a trend regarding crimes carried out by the british and their friends in the North

• Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭Full Marx

Very good book, hard to find as it was banned

Full Marx wrote: »
    Very good book, hard to find as it was banned

It is well worth a read but sadly as you say hard to get a hold of due to being banned in Britain from publication and it's US publisher having gone out of business.

Advertisement