Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rifle chambered in 9mm

Options
  • 25-08-2015 5:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    Since I can't licence a CF handgun, my club suggested looking at 9mm rifles,
    I have some great .22's rifles, pistol. I guess I'm bitten by a bug for a bigger round. I don't hunt and my club doesn't have a CF rifle range, so I guess they mean shooting targets at the pistol range. Big fun me thinks with a 9mm!

Couple of questions, are there 9mm, carbine competitions In Ireland?
    And does anyone own a 9mm rifle, or what (for those who know) would be best bang for the buck?

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Melodeon

9mm = 0.353 inch, which I'm pretty sure nudges the firearm into the uber-dangerous-kill-weapon licencing category.
    Very much open to correction from those more knowledgeable though.

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Steve012

Melodeon wrote: »
    9mm = 0.353 inch, which I'm pretty sure nudges the firearm into the uber-dangerous-kill-weapon licencing category.
    Very much open to correction from those more knowledgeable though.

Cheers Melodean, the chap from the club (gun smith) who suggested does know his stuff though, I'm just throwing it out there, I hadn't even heard of 9mm rifles until he suggested it. No licence allowed no biggy! Sounds like an interesting carbine all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 353 ✭✭BillBen

Never seen any competitions shot using a 9mm carbine I shoot a lever action rifle that's chambered in .38/357 magnum as far as I'm aware that's the only pistol type caliber that's used in a rifle.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,283 ✭✭✭Melodeon

I'm pretty sure it can be licenced, it's just that with it being 'bigger' than .308, it'd be Restricted and thus have to go to a Chief Superintendent for approval.

Cheers lads for the info!, wouldn't bother if there ain't any competitions, makes sense though, how many folks would own a 9mm carbine,

Thanks Steve.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

I could be wrong but beyond 7.62mm and you will need a restricted Lic, even if bolt-action. A semi-auto 9mm carbine would definitely be Restricted.

Seems like a lot of trouble and hassle to go though for a 9mm rifle but if that's what floats your boat.

• Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭freddieot

There are 9mm rifles as I've seen a couple. On the continent they are sometimes used when setting up falling plates for IPSC competitionsas a scoped rifle can aim a shot dead centre with ease from a bipod and if the 9mm knocks the plate over then it is set ok. Ones I've seen were Ar15 variants.

Never seen one used in any kind of competition but no doubt they are - but not here..

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Scalachi

I have seen several 9mm Lever Release rifles used in various gallery Rifle competitions in the UK, but they are in a separate "Open" class as with the lever release they were not not equally competing with a lever action in whatever calibre.

I have seen one here, but not sure if it was licensed to an individual or just on a dealers license.

They would certainly be restricted on Calibre..

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Buckmark1

There are 9mm rifles but they are few and far between. The most common pistol calibre rifle shot in Ireland is the .38/.357. You should try see what rifles other club members are shooting and give them a go

• Registered Users Posts: 14,944 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Steve012 wrote: »
    Hey folks,
    Since I can't licence a CF handgun, my club suggested looking at 9mm rifles,
    I have some great .22's rifles, pistol. I guess I'm bitten by a bug for a bigger round. I don't hunt and my club doesn't have a CF rifle range, so I guess they mean shooting targets at the pistol range. Big fun me thinks with a 9mm!

Couple of questions, are there 9mm, carbine competitions In Ireland?
    And does anyone own a 9mm rifle, or what (for those who know) would be best bang for the buck?

Any help greatly appreciated. :)

Technically said gallery rifle could be shot wit
    h it in semi auto as it is a pistol caliber.There are recognised courses of fire in the continent for these 9mm types of guns and you could shoot bullseye 360 rifle with it too.
    There are plenty of civvie style and "black gun" 9mm designs out there.Depends on what you want to spend and can get liscensed.Chiappa makes a nice little copy of the US ww2 30 cal m1 carbine in 9mm and I've seen and handled recently a nice 9mm AR conversion specifically made for gallery rifle.All depends on your wallet determination and your CS attitude to "Idontlikedelookodatnow"firearms.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Advertisement

Cheers Grizzly 45, They are some great looking carbines out there chambered in 9mm alright. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

I don't know of ANY 9mmP rifles, but there are certainly a good few semi-auto carbines. However, as Grizzly notes, most of them have a decidedly 'black' look about that that some find offensive.

tac

A Ruger P35 or Marlin camp carbine would be pretty civil looking...If they were still made.OTOH I wonder since there are now civvie semi auto versions of the Stens,Mp40s,Stirlings and various 9mm smg copies of yester year.Could they be classified as vintage carbines??

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »
    A Ruger P35 or Marlin camp carbine would be pretty civil looking...If they were still made.OTOH I wonder since there are now civvie semi auto versions of the Stens,Mp40s,Stirlings and various 9mm smg copies of yester year.Could they be classified as vintage carbines??

In the USA, of course, there ARE Sterlings as well as Uzis, albeit with rather long barrels fitted. I've not yet seen any of the others that you mention.

Naturally, there are the likes of the 9mm TAVOR and the latest from Desert Tech - in 9mmP.

However, they can only be described as TOTALLY military in appearance, just like the Sterling SMG. I think that the OP was hoping to see perhaps a bolt-action 9mm rifle of some kind. After looking around the internet for the last couple of hours, I think it's safe to say that no such thing exists.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,735 ✭✭✭hexosan

tac foley wrote: »
    However, as Grizzly notes, most of them have a decidedly 'black' look about that that some find offensive.

tac

Simple lick of pink paint problem solved super

I'm sure that you know what I mean.

tac

tac foley wrote: »
    In the USA, of course, there ARE Sterlings as well as Uzis, albeit with rather long barrels fitted. I've not yet seen any of the others that you mention.

Naturally, there are the likes of the 9mm TAVOR and the latest from Desert Tech - in 9mmP.

However, they can only be described as TOTALLY military in appearance, just like the Sterling SMG. I think that the OP was hoping to see perhaps a bolt-action 9mm rifle of some kind. After looking around the internet for the last couple of hours, I think it's safe to say that no such thing exists.

tac

GSG is going to start making the MP40 next year in 9mm
    http://thinblueflorida.com/?p=9066

Neidermeyer in Munich does a bunch of Bundes Kriminal Amt [The German version of the FBI] approved restored or fully converted to semi auto only ww2 guns. 950 for a sten and slightly over a thousand for a thompson 45 ACP
    http://www.waffen-niedermeier.de/de/shop/langwaffen.html

Sport Systme Dittrich
    is doing copies of the MP40,44,G43,Potsdam device[German ww2 copy of the STEN] and a few others.So there are plenty of the ww2 vintage designs in semi auto only available.

Only bolt action I've ever seen in 9mm was the old 9mm Flobert garden guns which could fire either shot or ball.

I deliberately ignored ALL the military-looking firearms, regardless whether they were replications or 'converted'.

I also deliberately ignored the old-style 9mm 'garden guns' as being totally unsuited for any kind of modern-day competition, just as they were back in the day when they enjoyed a degree of popularity.

There is a single bolt-action Lee-Enfield-action carbine available over here in yUK - made by Armalon, in almost any calibre you like.

http://www.armalon.com/public/products/item/2/

Armalon-Sarony PC Gallery Rifles

These unique compact bolt-action rifles combine the rugged reliability of the Enfield No.4 action with the convenience and economy of quick detachable magazine feeds in the most popular centrefire handgun calibres. They are available in original oiled beech woodwork with optional cheekpiece or with Monte Carlo style ‘ATI’ polymer stocks. These have gained a reputation for accuracy and adaptability, not only at the usual shorter pistol range distances but also out to 200 metres or more, as appropriate to each calibre.

As with the WWII de Lisle No.4 derivative, the Armalon ‘PC’s have a completely redesigned action. The PC’s shrouded bolt head and additional stabiliser improve ejection by means of the hinged ejector. Mag wells and latching arrangements are engineered for rapid deployment of the appropriate handgun type magazine, either using the standard mag latch push button or the optional ambidextrous speed latch designed to operate from an extended trigger finger.

The cock-on-opening Match Trigger option is highly recommended, as the mechanical advantages of the triple lever sear arrangement and shortened striker throw result in a crisp, clean, light and rapid trigger action.

The standard calibres range utilises staggered column magazines in 9mm, .38 Super, .40S&W, 10mm and .45Acp, plus others such as .41AE to special order. The magnum calibres range used modified Desert Eagle type magazines and include .357 and .44 Mag, plus others such as .41Mag and .50AE to special order only, but currently no plans to manufacture these again.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

A lever action in 7.63 Mauser would be great for use in Ireland, it would give a pistol caliber cartridge in a non restricted rifle/carbine. It would be nice in a semi-auto also but the s/a would give it restricted status and kind of defeat the purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,512 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

sfakiaman wrote: »
    A lever action in 7.63 Mauser would be great for use in Ireland, it would give a pistol caliber cartridge in a non restricted rifle/carbine. It would be nice in a semi-auto also but the s/a would give it restricted status and kind of defeat the purpose.

7.63 > 7.62, still restricted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭sfakiaman

Restricted is over .30 caliber and I don't anyone would quibble about .01 mil. .303 is an example.

An underlever rifle or carbine in that calibre would be unique, so who do you think would ever make it, given that the vast majority of lever action/underlever guns are in .38Spec/357Mag, .44-40, .44 Special/.44 Magnum. It would be a one-off, for sure, since there is no underlever firearm made today that has a suitable barrel for conversion. An older Winchester in .32-20 calibre might be an optional, if somewhat expensive, starting point, given that a good one is going to cost you around eu1500-2000 before your gunsmith converts it...

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭cw67irl

Restricted is over .308 not .30

A semi auto like an m1 carbine in .30 is restricted but a 308 bolt or 303 bolt gun is not.

Bolt action up to .308 = unrestricted

Semi Auto CF Rifle = restricted

So in reality [a difficult concept for our law-makers on both sides of the water, I know] it is the fact that one is manually operated and the other, although of lesser calibre, is a semi-auto, that actually makes it restricted, even though it is not only smaller, but has less than half the muzzle energy of the .308Win/7.62x51 calibre arm.

tac

Advertisement