Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Moving to Galway

Options
  • 25-08-2015 2:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Hi I'm planning on moving to Galway in the next two months I have a job sorted which is full time slighly above min wage. I'm a single male in late twenties and wanted to know where is best to rent and is there any schemes to help me with rent supplements etc.

Also I have children back in dublin currently living with my ex and I need to support them too. I've been searching for jobs the last two years in dublin but nothing and suddenly found one in galway. I'm not to sure she would be to happy with me moving to galway but it's the only job I've been offered in a long time

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,686 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Rent on the same side of the river as you are working. Tell us the general address and your budget, and we'll suggest some locations. On minimum wage-ish, you'll need to be house-sharing, and this is the toughest time of year to be looking

You'll need to ask your Community Welfare Office about rent support - if you've been on Rent Allowance and have just got a job after a long time unemployed then there may be a scheme to let you keep some rent support. (Or it may still be "coming soon") - either way, it's a question for State Benefits not Galway-specific.

• Registered Users Posts: 98 ✭✭bearclaire

Look into getting a Rail card and Maybe commuting. Social Welfare may help pay for part of this as a Exceptional needs payment, ( they might not but its worth trying.
    The very best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Alanbyrne88

Rent on the same side of the river as you are working. Tell us the general address and your budget, and we'll suggest some locations. On minimum wage-ish, you'll need to be house-sharing, and this is the toughest time of year to be looking

You'll need to ask your Community Welfare Office about rent support - if you've been on Rent Allowance and have just got a job after a long time unemployed then there may be a scheme to let you keep some rent support. (Or it may still be "coming soon") - either way, it's a question for State Benefits not Galway-specific.

Thank you for your reply the budget would be between €600-700 max I understand this May be a bad time of year to rent due to students but would rent be better in October + ? I don't intend to house share as I will have my children down some weekends. I havn't been on any rent allowance before but I have been on job seekers the last two years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Congrats on the new job. Where in Galway is it? We can give you an idea of convenient places to rent- Galway traffic is very bad so best to rent a place close to where you work if possible.

Congrats on the new job. Where in Galway is it? We can give you an idea of convenient places to rent- Galway traffic is very bad so best to rent a place close to where you work if possible.

Thanks it's in Eyre square

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭beardybrewer

Willingness to cycle < 30 minutes unlocks bonus levels such as Knocknacarra and Doughiska.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,165 ✭✭✭Wompa1

I agree with the above!

Also, I rented a one bedroom on Headford Rd for 550 a few years ago. Price probably went up now, though. That was ok to get into town...also had a bus stop right outside the apartment.

The fact you're working in Eyre Square opens up a lot more possibilities since all buses go there. You could live anywhere if the price of a monthly bus ticket suits. Might help bring your rent down considerably if you live out of the city

Thanks :) I had a look at Oughterard and there is an apartment for €400 a month but how far is it from city centre

Thanks :) I had a look at Oughterard and there is an apartment for €400 a month but how far is it from city centre

It's a lovely little town. It's pretty far out. About a 35 minute drive without traffic. Also, seeing as though it's a small village there's no bus lane going all the way out there BUT you could live out there and just give yourself enough time to get into work.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,741 ✭✭✭saabsaab

Yes, in Eyre square you can get buses to and from anywhere. Athenry could be a good rental area, rail link every day in also connect to Dublin easily.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

If you are going to be travelling to and from Dublin wit any frequency ,living on the eastern side of galwY ,athenry even would make a huge difference

If you are going to be travelling to and from Dublin wit any frequency ,living on the eastern side of galwY ,athenry even would make a huge difference

Depends how you are travelling, though.

If by car, yes. But by bus, the non-stop buses which leave from Galway City are faster and cheaper.

And the train from Athenry? Price that before you consider it. Price the bus too - www.buslink.ie. It might be an option if the job involves no shift work, and if it provides TaxSaver tickets. But otherwise, the train is for the rich and the retired.

OP, since you're not on RA, then there's no help with rent. As a low-paid worker you can go on the council housing list, but you will be assessed as a single person if they kids aren't regularly with you. So it's very little help.

Hopefully I will get somewhere it's just going to be difficult with supporting my ex and children while renting..hopefully I can get something from the welfare to give me a boost for a bit

Hopefully I will get somewhere it's just going to be difficult with supporting my ex and children while renting..hopefully I can get something from the welfare to give me a boost for a bit

Not telling you how to lead your life BUT :)

Spending up to 700 on rent when working a job that pays just over minimum wage won't be the best for you. Galway city doesn't have too many cheap small apartments. You'll find some 1 beds in Salthill and in Riverside. They are not even worth considering.

If I was you, I'd definitely look outside of the city. If you could afford a car or have a car. You could even go out as far as Headford. (a 30 minute drive) and get a house for about 400-500 a month

If you are working and the children are not with you, then AFAIK welfare will have very little for you. They may have something for your employer (Job Plus) if you have been unemployed for a long time. And you may be able to keep your medical card. But I do not think you will get any cash.

If you are working and the children are not with you, then AFAIK welfare will have very little for you. They may have something for your employer (Job Plus) if you have been unemployed for a long time. And you may be able to keep your medical card. But I do not think you will get any cash.

Thanks for your reply :)

Thank you for all your REPLYS just one more question! When is the best time to find cheap rent in galway the cheapest I have now is 400 but it looks pretty bad I have a relation who I can stay with until October. Would you get nice cheap accomadation then because I know the students will fill up places in september

• Registered Users Posts: 375 ✭✭jugger

I would stay with your relation just so you can see how the job is working out with commuting to dublin without committing to a deposit also it would give you more time to find a place you want verses one you have to take due to timeing

jugger wrote: »
    I would stay with your relation just so you can see how the job is working out with commuting to dublin without committing to a deposit also it would give you more time to find a place you want verses one you have to take due to timeing

I only have until October with the relations and I will be giving €100 weekly rent to him

The best time is April / May, when the students are leaving.

The 2nd best time is just after Christmas: some students drop out of college / go overseas etc.

October is still pretty bad. But not as bad as August.

You're going to find it tough. But keep a positive mental attitude - you WILL find somewhere, it's just going to take a while. Once you start work, ask around among your colleagues, some of them may know of places that would be available to a work-contact but aren't being let on the open (ie swamped with students) market.

The point about not committing to a deposit up front is important. Yes, you will be paying rent to your relative. But they will not be asking you for a month's deposit and a month's rent up front. A regular landlord will be asking for this (at least - there are stories of some LL's looking for two months deposit now).

• Advertisement

The best time is April / May, when the students are leaving.

The 2nd best time is just after Christmas: some students drop out of college / go overseas etc.

October is still pretty bad. But not as bad as August.

You're going to find it tough. But keep a positive mental attitude - you WILL find somewhere, it's just going to take a while. Once you start work, ask around among your colleagues, some of them may know of places that would be available to a work-contact but aren't being let on the open (ie swamped with students) market.

The point about not committing to a deposit up front is important. Yes, you will be paying rent to your relative. But they will not be asking you for a month's deposit and a month's rent up front. A regular landlord will be asking for this (at least - there are stories of some LL's looking for two months deposit now).

Thank you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 673 ✭✭✭GekkePrutser

Wompa1 wrote: »
    Not telling you how to lead your life BUT :)

If I was you, I'd definitely look outside of the city. If you could afford a car or have a car. You could even go out as far as Headford. (a 30 minute drive) and get a house for about 400-500 a month

How would that be worth it financially though? You'd surely spend more than 200 in fuel if you drive that distance 40 times a month and that doesn't even account for weekend trips.

Personally I'd doubt it's cheaper than living in town. Even though rent prices are crazy here.

How would that be worth it financially though? You'd surely spend more than 200 in fuel if you drive that distance 40 times a month and that doesn't even account for weekend trips.

Personally I'd doubt it's cheaper than living in town. Even though rent prices are crazy here.

Indeed, and that's before you figure in insurance, maintenance / NCT and parking when you come in to town.

Advertisement