Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BABY TRIKE - Recommendations?

Options
  • 25-08-2015 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    our girl is one this Christmas and I am thinking of picking up a trike for her. One of the stage progression ones that go from sit and push > pedal with handle > pedal independently.

There are a good few out there so I was hoping someone might have advice or suggestions which is best, preferably through experience! We live in the country so something not too cheap or plastic as she will get rattled on some of the roads :eek::):)

I like the look of this one : http://www.smythstoys.com/ie/en-ie/outdoor/c-654/trikes/p-11592/smartrike-explorer-5-in-1-recliner-trike-orange/

All advice and ideas welcome - thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

That one looks like a slightly newer version of the one I have. I love it. I bring him to the park on it every day. The bag on the back is great for the shops too. TBH the wheels are hard plastic so on very rough ground you are gonna have some rattle but my boy doesn't seem to mind! He adores it, he pulls it out to the front door most mornings! If you're not great at assembling things I would ask Smyths to put it together for you as we had a couple of minor issues because we didn't have something attached right.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭Plek Trum

Sounds good - thanks a mill nikpmup. I'd like to think I'm a tech-savvy female but perhaps getting Smyths to assemble it wouldn't be a bad idea at all. The less frustrations Christmas eve night the better I think :):)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Sounds good - thanks a mill nikpmup. I'd like to think I'm a tech-savvy female but perhaps getting Smyths to assemble it wouldn't be a bad idea at all. The less frustrations Christmas eve night the better I think :):)

I'm usually pretty good at assembling things (most of my house is from ikea!) But the instructions on the trike weren't great and I messed up the pedals & steering on it. If you can get into a Smyth's branch to have a good look at it it'd be worth your while, you can assess how sturdy you think it is.

nikpmup wrote: »
    I'm usually pretty good at assembling things (most of my house is from ikea!) But the instructions on the trike weren't great and I messed up the pedals & steering on it. If you can get into a Smyth's branch to have a good look at it it'd be worth your while, you can assess how sturdy you think it is.

Will pop in for a browse this Saturday and a discreet test run 😄, thanks again !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Think this one is similar and is going 40% off tomorrow in amazon lightening deals at 8.30am tomorrow. So will prob be around £50. You prob have an hour or so after it goes on sale to get it if you like it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FLMWXRA/ref=gb1h_img_c-3_8907_77ddbf9c?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-3&pf_rd_r=0HYM4BRAA042SBBBN5CH&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=671258907

• Advertisement

Sligo1 wrote: »
    Think this one is similar and is going 40% off tomorrow in amazon lightening deals at 8.30am tomorrow. So will prob be around £50. You prob have an hour or so after it goes on sale to get it if you like it.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00FLMWXRA/ref=gb1h_img_c-3_8907_77ddbf9c?pf_rd_m=A3P5ROKL5A1OLE&pf_rd_t=701&pf_rd_s=center-new-3&pf_rd_r=0HYM4BRAA042SBBBN5CH&pf_rd_i=20&pf_rd_p=671258907

Thank you very much for that!! Sound 😄😄

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

Plek Trum wrote: »
    Thank you very much for that!! Sound 😄😄

It doesn't seem to have as much on it as the one you first posted tho so have good read of it first.

We have a fisher price smart trike. Like this one but blue. It's fine... But I dunno... I don't find it the sturdiest on bumpy roads. http://www.amazon.com/Fisher-Price-Pink-Smart-Trike/dp/B00BGX4DTO

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Thanks guys - think we will spend the extra few euro and get the one is smyths. Few little extra features that may pay off longterm such as padded and recliner seat plus the shopping bag attached - we're learning its the little things that make life easier with a baby :) Living in the country too, its better to have a sturdier more comfortable model with the roads (and no footpaths!)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

As someone said previously, the wheels are hard so they're not great on bumpy terrain. We have one of the smart trikes that cost €120 and I think the 'stages' is a tad gimmicky. The little lad loves it but he'd have loved the €50 version too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2 At Witts End

Hi Plek Trum,

We just bought this trike for my Sons Birthday, he was one......Mito Childrens Trike, it is also on the smyths website. I like it because you can also face the seat towards you or face them to the handle bars. It also reclines, and the hood is slightly bigger than the hood on the smart trike..... only down side is that facing me he has his foot on the wheels as he keeps removing them from the foot rest, so found to make sure I have some sort of footwear on his feet.....Only used it two or three times (birthday was only the other day) but so far we pretty happy with it :)

Advertisement