Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

€220 EVSE

Options

Comments

Good find Cross !

How do Customs charge 80 quid on that ? how do they even know what it is or how to value it ?:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

Good find Cross !

How do Customs charge 80 quid on that ? how do they even know what it is or how to value it ?:

They don't know how to value it so they ask the receiver. The rate of import duty on an EVSE is 3% and they add 23% VAT.
    JPSON usually put $10 as the value on the customs declaration so.... *cough* do with that information what you will.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

The EV Company (Irish setup) have a Type 1 and Type 2 with CEE socket for €250 at the moment. Get a CEE - 3 pin UK adapter for about €10 and you are sorted. No import taxes and free shipping.

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Importing can be hassle sometimes, 1 month delivery, Fed ex always rips you off with an admin fee for customs, if it goes wrong more cash to send it back, I think Dexter you have better solution dealing with local guys, prices seem better too.

Says 16 amps ? that can't be right ? the Nissan portable EVSE is about 10 amps, I would not trust 16 amps through an extension for several hours. Would absolutely have to be a heavy duty lead and fully extended to reduce heat build up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Dexter1979

It is 16A.. Unwind the whole extension lead and make sure it has a proper fuse and wire diameter..

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭mr.dunkey

Says 16 amps ? that can't be right ? the Nissan portable EVSE is about 10 amps, I would not trust 16 amps through an extension for several hours. Would absolutely have to be a heavy duty lead and fully extended to reduce heat build up.

Nissan have been very safe with their 10 amp evse brick, you can get after market 10 amp units aswell, but the ones seem to be onsale here are 16 amp.
    Cheap extension cords will melt even if rolled out. The ones dexter is linked to have 16 amp plug.People use an adapter to convert back to normal plug for this?

I used extension cords with my little welder its 16amp, but a decent extension lead at least 2.5mm thick cable does the job for me.
    I know a guy who runs his Rolec 16amp unit on a 3 pin plug just carrys it, its a big Evse to lug around.

I'm not at all suggesting it can't be done but it is the absolute limit for most sockets, not to mention extension leads. I would urge caution when using it. It's a shame it doesn't have Multiple current options like some do so you can select 8-16 amps. For instance if you go somewhere unfamiliar and it it were tripping breakers in consumer units you could drop the current but still be able to charge.

It has an industrial Socket ? that would be convenient I'd say so many businesses have that type socket.

Advertisement