Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metric and the GAA

Options
  • 25-08-2015 1:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,069 ✭✭✭

It has been suggested to me that the GAA. should further move to metric in relation to height and weight on their match day programmes.

Give metric priority and by all means put imperial in brackets on match day programes. Students for many years now have been using metric as their priority. The same applies to broadcasters such as RTE and Newstalkto make the effort and move over to metric in their commentaries and analysis.

Having said that full credit must be given to the GAA for moving over to 45's and 65's etc. so early when the metric system was adopted.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

Anyone any idea when the GAA replaced the 70 and 50 yard lines with 65m and 45m ones?

Also seems 70 yards is only 64.008m, while 50 yards is 45.72m. Was there any noticeable change in the success rate of 65s being a meter further back than before, or the 45 being brought 72cm forward?

I know the differences are tiny, but over a long period of time you'd imagine a slight difference might be seen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,923 ✭✭✭✭BonnieSituation

Anyone any idea when the GAA replaced the 70 and 50 yard lines with 65m and 45m ones?

Also seems 70 yards is only 64.008m, while 50 yards is 45.72m. Was there any noticeable change in the success rate of 65s being a meter further back than before, or the 45 being brought 72cm forward?

I know the differences are tiny, but over a long period of time you'd imagine a slight difference might be seen.

I couldn't imagine there would be. Given the slight changes here.

The sliotar/football is still rising substantially over such a length.

With the sliotar being dense and smaller and moving at a faster speed it wouldn't be discernible that it is nearly a metre longer now.

Advertisement