Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repairing Table surface

Options
  • 24-08-2015 2:01pm
    Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭

Hi all,

There was a bit of and accident where nail polish remover was split on a table top. Top layer of varnish/polyurethane/lacquer was removed.. not sure what the finish was on the table. There is white mark on the table where the remover split.

I've read a few articles online about how to repair... sand down.. use chemical remover to get rid of the previous finish etc. Then finish with required finish.

I would like to attempt this myself, but have a few questions.

Is there anyway to tell what the current finish on the table is?

I've also been told that I shouldn't sand it down.

I suppose I'm just looking for the best way to precede. The table si a panama dining table if you want to google it...

Any help would be much appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭recipio

If nail polish remover dissolved the finish then its almost certainly a commercial spray on lacquer finish. Polyurethane would need varnish stripper to remove it and is not favoured in commercial applications anyway.
    As its a small area you can sand it starting with 120 grit and going up to 240 then 340 grit or finer. Vacuum off any dust and finish with one of those spray lacquer aerosols found in car accessory shops. A few light coats is better than one heavy coat - and open the doors of the room !

Advertisement