Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Complex Fourier Coefficients

Options
  • 24-08-2015 1:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Can anyone help me with this exam question?

Calculate the complex Fourier coefficients[latex] $C_n$ [/latex] for

[latex]$$f(x)= |x|- \frac{\pi}{2} , |x|\leq \pi $$[/latex], and [latex]$2\pi$[/latex] periodically continued to all [latex]$x$[/latex].

I have tried the following;

[latex]$C_n = \frac{1}{2\pi} {\displaystyle \int_{-\pi}^{\pi} f(x)e^{-inx}dx}$

$ = \frac{1}{2\pi} \Bigg( {\displaystyle \int_{-\pi}^{0} (-x-\frac{\pi}{2})e^{-inx}dx} + {\displaystyle \int_{0}^{\pi} (x-\frac{\pi}{2})e^{-inx}dx} \Bigg)$ [/latex]

When I work down through these integrals, I get [latex] $ \displaystyle\frac{(-1)^n}{n^2\pi}$[/latex], whereas I think the answer should be [latex]$\displaystyle \frac{(-1)^n-1}{ n^2\pi}$[/latex]

Is there something wrong with my approach or is it right and my computation is wrong?

Thanks

Advertisement