Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

USI Levy

Options
  • 24-08-2015 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just phoned academic registry to have this fee waived as I believe this is an optional charge (http://www.tcd.ie/financial-services/fees/fees_faq.php question 13). Lady on the phone didn't really know what I was talking about. Anyone know how I go about having this fee waived so I can proceed to register?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,933 ✭✭✭Anita Blow

I know it's technically possible but haven't heard of anyone not paying the USI levy. I'd imagine it's academic registry that have to do it manually

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭mdudy

It's €8. Surely more hassle than it's worth.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭Bears and Vodka

mdudy wrote: »
    It's €8. Surely more hassle than it's worth.

Every little helps! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

The USI levy signs you up to the Students' Union, which allows you to access its services. On a day-to-day basis, it has little effect whether you sign up or not, however, if you run into difficulty with the College or any associated body, the SU can represent you in a dispute.

In my eyes, it's worth the €8, should the need ever arise that you need representation or advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭gandalfio

I didn't realise it was only €8. My mistake. I will indeed be paying it.

• Advertisement

pourquoi wrote: »
    The USI levy signs you up to the Students' Union, which allows you to access its services. On a day-to-day basis, it has little effect whether you sign up or not, however, if you run into difficulty with the College or any associated body, the SU can represent you in a dispute.

In my eyes, it's worth the €8, should the need ever arise that you need representation or advice.

This isn't the case - the levy is for membership of the Union of Students in Ireland, a separate organization to the Students' Union. The SU gets its money from capitation that each student pays through the registration fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭pourquoi

Dónal wrote: »
    This isn't the case - the levy is for membership of the Union of Students in Ireland, a separate organization to the Students' Union. The SU gets its money from capitation that each student pays through the registration fee.

You learn something new every day! Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 alphabet1

quote this website Q13 to the help email address, they will remove the charge as they are obliged to

There is no point in paying it

tcd website subsection financial-services/fees/fees_faq.php

Advertisement