Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE retro clip show,mid 90s.Forerunner to Reeling In The Years.

Options
  • 24-08-2015 12:37am
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭

I did a thread about this RTE series a few years ago but no one seemed to know the programme I was talking about so here goes again.It was an archive clips programme that like Reeling In The Years would take a single year per episode and focus on it. It was screened about 1993-94 and there were two series,one focusing on the 60s the name of which I can't remember and the second series I think was called Shakin The 70s.(focusing obviously on the 1970s)The opening title sequence for this was a guy dressed up to look like Roy Wood from Wizzard grooving to T Rexs Children Of The Revolution.The main difference between this and Reeling..was that there was a voice over commentry,I think it might have been the guy who presented The Last Picture Show series of cult movies that were shown on Friday nights later in the 90s.They also used to show each Ireland Eurovision entry for the featured year in its entirety.Does anyone else remember this show?

Edit:Thinking about it again the series focusing on the 60s might have been called Shaking all Over and used the song of the same name as the theme music.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

Does anyone other than me remember this?I clearly recall it,it dosen't fit in the "did I dream it or was it real category?" that some earlier stuff could be classified as.It was screened just over twenty years ago which is not that long ago.Strangely Googling dosent bring up anything about it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭orthsquel

The bit you mention in your edit of the op does sound familiar... annoyingly familiar that I know I know "Shakin All Over" not from the song or the many covers but from a tv show about the 60s that I do remember... I can't think of it though. But I do remember that it was Brian Reddin (who I always thought he was called Brian Graham so maybe I am confusing myself! the guy who did The Last Picture Show anyway!) who featured on commentary. If memory serves right he was the man of choice for such things around the 90s. But it was bugging me enough to go searching for it....

While I did a search I didn't find many links to this, although there was a show about Eurovision and the 60s (similar to the more up to date version shown earlier this year on RTE prior to Eurovision itself) which you can find in the RTE Archive on their main website.

What I did find on Wiki was a well organised and better documented page of links of Irish television programmes although I didn't find anything of that name.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Irish_television_programmes

But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. From reading on Wiki about RTE in the 90s, there was an update to the Broadcasting Act to include more Independent Irish produced programmes (as opposed to RTE only produced) on RTE from various production companies e.g. Frontier Films, Adare Productions, etc) so it is possible any of them made it for RTE using various footage available... while I did look at those two specific companies for past history tbh they don't list a lot that would be considered ages ago, or least known, but it is likely that it was any of them.

I even asked my mother if she remembered it and she doesn't recall it at all...

sorry! I was fairly young then and probably just remember the name of the song that was used for a tv show but not more than that myself!

orthsquel wrote: »
    The bit you mention in your edit of the op does sound familiar... annoyingly familiar that I know I know "Shakin All Over" not from the song or the many covers but from a tv show about the 60s that I do remember... I can't think of it though. But I do remember that it was Brian Reddin (who I always thought he was called Brian Graham so maybe I am confusing myself! the guy who did The Last Picture Show anyway!) who featured on commentary. If memory serves right he was the man of choice for such things around the 90s. But it was bugging me enough to go searching for it....

While I did a search I didn't find many links to this, although there was a show about Eurovision and the 60s (similar to the more up to date version shown earlier this year on RTE prior to Eurovision itself) which you can find in the RTE Archive on their main website.

What I did find on Wiki was a well organised and better documented page of links of Irish television programmes although I didn't find anything of that name.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Irish_television_programmes

But that doesn't mean it doesn't exist. From reading on Wiki about RTE in the 90s, there was an update to the Broadcasting Act to include more Independent Irish produced programmes (as opposed to RTE only produced) on RTE from various production companies e.g. Frontier Films, Adare Productions, etc) so it is possible any of them made it for RTE using various footage available... while I did look at those two specific companies for past history tbh they don't list a lot that would be considered ages ago, or least known, but it is likely that it was any of them.

I even asked my mother if she remembered it and she doesn't recall it at all...

sorry! I was fairly young then and probably just remember the name of the song that was used for a tv show but not more than that myself!

Yes that sounds like it was the show on the 60s all right.I'm pretty certain now that it was called Shakin All Over and used that song as the theme music,and Brian Reddin is the most likely canditate as the commentator.I remember the commentary was usually of the "look at those ridiculous fashions/hairstyles" variety.I'm pretty certain that in the series on the 70s they featured a story that would be also go on to be shown on Reeling In The Years about a secondary school in Dublin where they banned boys from having long hair and who then went on to protest,and the commentator said "they did tend to go on a bit about long hair in the 70s" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭Run and Jump

Shakin' All Over was presented by John Keogh, who was also one of the team captains on The Lyrics Board. If I remember correctly, when it moved from the 1960s to the 1970s it was called Shakin' The 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭shuffles88

You aren't mad it definitely existed and at least one iteration was titled Shakin' the 70's. We had it recorded since our house appeared in it (Oh the thrill of that :D)

• Advertisement

Shakin' All Over was presented by John Keogh, who was also one of the team captains on The Lyrics Board. If I remember correctly, when it moved from the 1960s to the 1970s it was called Shakin' The 70s.

Nice one,thats the missing piece in the jigsaw.Googling John Keogh brings up this link to Shakin The 70s,it ran a little earlier than I thought.Have to say I diden't really like his commentary on the two series.Thought he sounded really smarmy and his attempts at humour mostly fell flat.The format for Reeling In The Years obviously borrowed heavily from this programme but thankfully they dropped the commentary voiceover aspect.

http://www.tcd.ie/irishfilm/showfilm.php?fid=39338

Advertisement