Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Glass extension costs

Options
  • 23-08-2015 2:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Had anyone had experience of having a simple metal or wood framed glass extension fitted onto the back of an old bungalow?
    Who did you use?
    What were the costs?
    What size can you build without planning permission?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks!

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nassa wrote: »
    Had anyone had experience of having a simple metal or wood framed glass extension fitted onto the back of an old bungalow?
    Who did you use?
    What were the costs?
    What size can you build without planning permission?
    Any help would be much appreciated.
    Many thanks!

Sounds like you are looking for a conservatory. Work out what size you want and call a few suppliers to find out the exact price.

Ive worked on projects where the conservatory alone was €90k!

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nassa

kceire wrote: »
    Sounds like you are looking for a conservatory. Work out what size you want and call a few suppliers to find out the exact price.

Thanks for the reply. I think 90k is a wee bit much!!

My thinking is I would like a 14ft by 12ft wide (approx) glass sliding door fronted box with a flat roof I suspect so not a typical conservatory.

I'm looking for people's personal experiences of this kind of thing.

Would a normal conservatory company do this sort of thing?

I'm a novice and testing the water here!!

:/
    kceire wrote: »

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,915 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

Nassa wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply. I think 90k is a wee bit much!!

My thinking is I would like a 14ft by 12ft wide (approx) glass sliding door fronted box with a flat roof I suspect so not a typical conservatory.

I'm looking for people's personal experiences of this kind of thing.

Would a normal conservatory company do this sort of thing?

I'm a novice and testing the water here!!

:/

That's different. Your looking for a single storey flat roof extension with a sliding door opening to the rear. The roof will either be traditional torch on felt or the more modern fibre glass build up. Fibre glass build up is my choice in this option.

Budget about €1500 per square meter and you should be in the ball park figure of a finished job. That could go up or down significantly depending on finishes picked and builder chosen or if it's a DIY but beware, that you must comply to current building regulations with the build.

So I would budget 25k give or take and that should allow for a good standard of finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 291 ✭✭Miamiheat

OP did you want a clear roof to let the light in?
    I am after some simple extension for the back of my kitchen that would lead to the garden, also flat roof by clear. No necessarilly insulated but just surrounded with glass of pvc or whatever is being used in order to keep plants and be able to be outside without being completely outside in the rain and wind. All i see are fancy conservatories and its really not what I am looking for.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Nassa

Miamiheat wrote: »
    OP did you want a clear roof to let the light in?
    I am after some simple extension for the back of my kitchen that would lead to the garden, also flat roof by clear. No necessarilly insulated but just surrounded with glass of pvc or whatever is being used in order to keep plants and be able to be outside without being completely outside in the rain and wind. All i see are fancy conservatories and its really not what I am looking for.

I know ... years later...never did my extension but I wondered if you ever did as your idea seems similar to mine!

• Advertisement
Advertisement