Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Computer Science Arts

Options
  • 22-08-2015 6:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭

So Im going into first year and doing Arts. I am interested in doing Computer science through Arts. I was just wondering what do you study throughout the 3 years and is it difficult? Also is there much Maths?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

Hey mossy,

If you purely do it through arts, you'll avoid a lot of the maths based topics. You'll learn Java as your main computer language in first year, alongside a theory module and databases.

2nd year you go into detail about Alogorithms in programming, and how they should be used. You also learn a bit about operating systems and logic.

3rd year then you'll have a choice of what kind of modules to do. The full structure can be found here, just expand the year and computer science:

http://apps.maynoothuniversity.ie/courses/?TARGET=QS&MODE=VIEW&TARGET_SOURCE=QUALIFICATION&QUALIFICATION_CODE=ARTS

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭twin_beacon

I did a postgrad in maynooth and demonstrated "Computational thinking" (maths) tutorials to the Computer science undergrads, I cant remember if they were first years or second years. A lot of the students doing it through Arts really struggled, some failed. The maths I was demonstrating would be of a higher standard than ordinary level leaving cert, but probably not a huge amount higher. If you got a B or higher in ordinary level, you should be ok. That was back in 2008/9, the course could have changed since then. You need to be able to pick it up fairly fast too, the classes can be large.

Hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 536 ✭✭✭brainiac

I did a postgrad in maynooth and demonstrated "Computational thinking" (maths) tutorials to the Computer science undergrads, I cant remember if they were first years or second years. A lot of the students doing it through Arts really struggled, some failed. The maths I was demonstrating would be of a higher standard than ordinary level leaving cert, but probably not a huge amount higher. If you got a B or higher in ordinary level, you should be ok. That was back in 2008/9, the course could have changed since then. You need to be able to pick it up fairly fast too, the classes can be large.

Hope this helps!

They are talking about doing computer science as an arts subject choice, as such they have no maths modules at all. Just very minor maths related topics within computer science modules, but no pure maths.

Advertisement