Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newborn and toddler

Options
  • 22-08-2015 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi all, just had a baby a week ago and I have a 2 and half year old. I feel so emotional constantly over thinking since my baby was born. I feel bad on my 2 year old as he's not gettimg much attention from me. We live in a tiny 1 bed apartment with a small balcony. Is it fair for a 2 year old to be stuck in most of the day with little contact with other kids? Is it OK for him to be playing on the balcony? And what can I do to keep him entertained and also bond with him whilst caring for a newborn. Really really stressed!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,308 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Congrats on your new arrival. It is not ok to leave a small child unattended on a balcony.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Have you any family around? My family was a great help when I had a toddler and a newborn at the same time.

I kept her in crèche 3 mornings a week so she could play with children her own age, then she started ECCE year.

Have you had a section, or what is the reason you are staying indoors in an apt all day? It's a lot of fun to get out and about with a newborn, unless you can't physically walk. Sling, or buggy. They don't need much.

Ps, you JUST had a baby, you are going to feel emotional about everything. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭bp

I got great advice here about three months ago namely put the baby down when fed etc and focus on two year old, get stickers and books. Stuff you can do together while feeding

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

There was exactly 2 years between 1 & 2 and 2 & 3 for me and once you are medically able get out for your sanity!!
    I would not let him play on the balcony on his own.
    No, it is not fair for him to be stuck inside but it is part of life!
    You can go for walks,go to play centres,have picnics.
    They are very mobiles at that age and there are very few places you can't bring a new born.
    When I was nursing and awake enough I read books to the older ones/s and I have to admit at times the tv was switched on for everyones sanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

I agree about getting out, I try and get out for a walk first thing every morning whether it's raining or not and it's more for my own sanity than anything else! You'd go mad from being cooped up! Have you got a double buggy? Is there any park or open area nearby that you could take your toddler and let them burn off some energy? There's a green area near us so we head there after our walk and I let the small fella run around and tire himself out. I was never one for getting out for fresh air and a walk until I had kids :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭Nead21

My baby is 7 weeks and my eldest is 2. The first couple of weeks the guilt nearly killed me as I couldn't give my 2 year old the same sort of attention. All I could was get him involved with the baby as much as possible so he didn't feel left out. Getting out of the house is essential like others have said even if it's just a walk to the shop and back. Breaks up the day a bit. We also go to a play centre every Friday morning.

I'm only a couple of weeks ahead of you and the guilt has definitely gotten better as we've all learned to adjust. It's tough going and some days are better than others.

Advertisement