Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Keen edge

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

May as well get the ball rolling about hand planes, my go to is an old Stanley no 5 with a Victor blade , and a two piece Clifton chip breaker, works well , for sharpening i've a few waterstones and an ultra fine spyderco ceramic stone for final honing .

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 5,065 Mod ✭✭✭✭kadman

May as well get the ball rolling about hand planes, my go to is an old Stanley no 5 with a Victor blade , and a two piece Clifton chip breaker, works well , for sharpening i've a few waterstones and an ultra fine spyderco ceramic stone for final honing .

Nice,

Where did you buy your spyderco ceramic stone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,856 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

kadman wrote: »
    Nice,

Where did you buy your spyderco ceramic stone.

Bought it in Belfast in W McMaster tools , have it about five years , very happy with it , no maintenance or flattering needed, just a few drops of water and hone away , cost about 55 sterling

• Registered Users Posts: 1,259 ✭✭✭..Brian..

They're some fine shavings!

Having learned 99% of what I know from Paul Sellers on Youtube, I use a Stanley 4 or 5 mostly, or their "and a half" variants. Standard irons, no micro bevel. Just a single cutting edge with the slightest camber to it. I sharpen by hand using super cheap diamond plates from AmTech, which cost about €7 for a set of 3. When funds allow I will be buy a nice set of Ezelap diamond stones which should last me forever really with no maintenance required.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

i picked up a stanley bailey no. 4 for €18 yesterday in irish liquidators on the belgard road; to be precise, it was €36 but they've a 'buy one get one free' deal on at the moment, and my wife picked up an old chemical retort stand with round beaker for the same price, so it was €36 for the two. the plane had some superficial surface rust which came off with some WD40 and wire wool, so i'm happy.
    they've a no.5 in much cleaner condition for €60, so if you can find anything else there you'd like for a similar price, it'll work out at €30.
    i've already got a 5 1/2, so couldn't justify getting the 5; especially since i couldn't find another item at roughly the same price.

• Advertisement

I get mine from eBay. You'll usually get one for about €30 including shipping.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,516 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that new or s/h?

Definitely second hand. I like vintage tools, my planes would be circa 50 years old. Have a dovetail saw that's up to 140 years old!

was at the dublin flea market yesterday; plenty of old wooden planes on sale. some fairly sound, some split.

Advertisement