Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Braun forehead thermometer

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Millem wrote: »
    Has anyone used the new Braun thermometer? So I can't find my braun thermoscan and am just after buying new filters! I am just going to order another one when I can across this....
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00M35Y2J0?ie=UTF8&tag=pric097-21&linkCode=xm2&camp=1634&creativeASIN=B00M35Y2J0&smid=A2ACV11D3L6SYJ
    Don't know whether to order it or just order another thermoscan?

Never seen one of these before but it sounds like it's reading skin temp which wouldn't be a good indicator of temp, I have the Braun ear one but most of the I use a cheapie under arm one that you can buy in any chemist for €7/8.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

yellow hen wrote: »
    Never seen one of these before but it sounds like it's reading skin temp which wouldn't be a good indicator of temp, I have the Braun ear one but most of the I use a cheapie under arm one that you can buy in any chemist for €7/8.

Cool maybe I should buy a cheapy? I was going to order this one for £17 and use parcel motel..I have the other Braun one (it has a case).
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001Q3LWKW?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=ox_sc_act_title_1&smid=A04722913M0KZ4SG4OQMF

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,344 ✭✭✭Diamond Doll

If I were you I'd just buy another Braun ear thermometer.

I bought one of the forehead thermometers. Not the Braun one, but an expensive one. I then found my Braun ear one again. I found that the forehead one was usually a couple of degrees lower (when he had a temperature), and also it was very inconsistent, you could take a few readings within minutes and they'd be all over the place!

I have an underarm thermometer, but the problem is that if you suspect he is hot, he's probably very cranky and grouchy anyways and won't cooperate long enough for you to take the underarm temperature! At least you can get an accurate temperature in the ear in seconds.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,948 ✭✭✭Sligo1

I had an infrared Braun thermometer and it was crap. Bust after only a few weeks. These aren't as accurate as the tympanics either. That why the maternity hospitals went back to using tympanic thermometers. Underarm (axilla) is most accurate but good luck getting an accurate reading with a baba who can't stay still for a minute. I'd defo stick with the Braun tympanic tbh.

I have only had to use my thermoscan for one night (touch wood) and got a few dodgey temps off it as baby wouldn't let me do it in his ear! Apparently though the smaller thermoscan takes 1 second as opposed to 2 seconds with the bigger one. I think I might just buy the smaller one as God only knows when the other will turn up as house is still upside from decorating :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,251 ✭✭✭cyning

I have a babs who runs constant temperatures: and her temp drops too which is normally worse! Doc and 2 paeds and ENT all reccomend the Braun Thermoscan. So Id get that again personally. Ours gets crazy use (literally most days for the last 5 months!) and has never let us down.

Thanks guys, Just ordered another braun thermoscan from Amazon. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

A bit OT but has anyone else found the Braun thermoscan gives inaccurate readings? Ours will give the initial reading and if you take the temperature immediately again, it will give a higher reading. If you take more readings, it will get higher and higher and after 4 or 5 readings, the temperature could be up to a whole degree higher than the first reading :confused: We bought a 3 euro forehead thermometer in the chemist and it usually gives a higher reading than the thermoscan.

A bit OT but has anyone else found the Braun thermoscan gives inaccurate readings? Ours will give the initial reading and if :):)you take the temperature immediately again, it will give a higher reading. If you take more readings, it will get higher and higher and after 4 or 5 readings, the temperature could be up to a whole degree higher than the first reading :confused: We bought a 3 euro forehead thermometer in the chemist and it usually gives a higher reading than the thermoscan.

I have gotten a few dodgey readings from it...I tried it in myself as baby hates. It and get different readings :confused:
    I have ordered a different model of thermoscan than takes temp quicker :)

A bit OT but has anyone else found the Braun thermoscan gives inaccurate readings? Ours will give the initial reading and if you take the temperature immediately again, it will give a higher reading. If you take more readings, it will get higher and higher and after 4 or 5 readings, the temperature could be up to a whole degree higher than the first reading :confused: We bought a 3 euro forehead thermometer in the chemist and it usually gives a higher reading than the thermoscan.

The doctor told me to try it twice in each ear, then always go with the highest of those four readings. (Maybe sounds a bit OTT, but it only really takes a few seconds!) He also said that when you're taking it, you aim for the opposite eyeball (if that makes sense!)

Apparently the most accurate reading you'll get is from the rectum. I did try this once, but it came out at the same temperature as with the ear thermometer, and wasn't worth the hassle! :eek: (In fairness it didn't take long, and he was so confused at what I was doing to him that he didn't bother to cry or wiggle while I was doing it!)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

Apparently the most accurate reading you'll get is from the rectum. I did try this once, but it came out at the same temperature as with the ear thermometer, and wasn't worth the hassle! :eek: (In fairness it didn't take long, and he was so confused at what I was doing to him that he didn't bother to cry or wiggle while I was doing it!)

:D I didn't know you could take rectal readings with it! Not sure it would work for us cos any time we've tried suppositries etc it has (for want of a better phrase) encourage an immediate evacuation of bowels :eek: :pac:

Mine has often given wacky different readings between ears too, one ear could be 35.9 and the other ear would be over 37 :confused: My own gp uses the thermoscan but the last time I went to the out of hours doctor she used the forehead one. No harm to have 2 different types to compare anyway :)

:D I didn't know you could take rectal readings with it! Not sure it would work for us cos any time we've tried suppositries etc it has (for want of a better phrase) encourage an immediate evacuation of bowels :eek: :pac:

Mine has often given wacky different readings between ears too, one ear could be 35.9 and the other ear would be over 37 :confused: My own gp uses the thermoscan but the last time I went to the out of hours doctor she used the forehead one. No harm to have 2 different types to compare anyway :)

Oh no I don't mean I took the rectal reading with the Braun one, just a regular thermometer!!

The one time he'd a really high temperature (I think close to 40) there was no need for the thermometer anyways, he was absolutely scorching to touch! So it's not like it could be up that high and you'd miss it anyways. :) I used to be a bit obsessive about checking the temperature when he was small, but as he got older I soon figured out he'd his own ways of letting us know when he was too hot or too cold!

Advertisement