Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

converting time to time

Options
  • 22-08-2015 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Ok. I have a question that I'm trying to find an answer for. I'm writing a book. But I want to keep things consistent. We have Earth time 23:59:59:999.9 ETm (hrs:min:sec:hundreths:tenths)

On the planet in my book, Mercaderea we have time as follows. That's McT
    32:64:74:28:999.9
    (Hr:mins:sec:die:dec.micro)
    And that is 1 day.
    Time between the two planets runs in sync. Working in tenths > .7 micro. That throws the entire calculation off balance for me. But those are the numbers I have been working with throughout the book. And concidering that the book is finished and about to go to the publishers, I can't simplify it.

Now here's what I'm trying to work out. How the hell do I convert McT to ETm.

Here's the conversions of McT, seeing as you already know what the conversions are on earth.

Cy = Cycle OrbPer = completion of 1 orbit around the host star.
    32:64:74:28:999.9 =1d
    56.65d = 1m
    13.5m = 1y
    1,000y = 1Cy
    23Cy = 1.2OrbPer

Now the question.
    How many ETm days and hours is equal to 1 McT day?

I would appreciate the workings and completely understand if it can't be worked out. I can fill in the blanks when it comes to turning it into years and cycles.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭dlouth15

Is this another Elite: Dangerous question?

Convert everything to seconds.

Day on Earth:
    24 hours = 24 * 60 * 60 s = 86400 s.

Day on Mercaderea (rounding to the nearest second).

32 hours + 64 hours + 74 seconds = (32 * 60 * 60 s) + (64 * 60 s) + (74 s) = 119114 s
    How many Earth days make up a Mercaderea day?

This is = (Mercadera day length) / (Earth day length) = (119114 s) / (86400 s) = 1.37863425926
    So a day on Mercadera lasts approximately 1.38 Earth days.

I haven't bothered with fractions of a second in this calculation. Is there any reason from a gameplay perspective why you would need to do this?

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Fir3Fly1995

Read above. For a book. Not a game. Although I believe that ED questions are going to be the majority of them. Thanks for the conversion. Although inaccurate due to leaving out the fourth measure of time. It is a baseline of time on Mercaderea. The most prominent planet in my book and time is going to be the theme of the next book. So I need to work this out as accurately as I can because it will be featured throughout the entire second book.

Again. Thank you for your attempt. Your defiantly a hell of a lot smarter than I am.

I got that it was a book. I thought it was a book on the game; how to play it etc.

Anyway I'm not sure how fractions of a second are expressed in this. For example the Earth day is expressed as 23:59:59:999.9 which you say is in the form hrs:min:sec:hundreths:tenths. So it is 23 hours, 59 minutes, 59 seconds and 999 hundreths of a second. But 999 hundreths of a second doesn't make sense. The hundreths needs to be a number between 0 and 99. Maybe it is thousanths of a second? Then maybe the .9 at the end refers to a ten thousantth of a second.

I would be inclined to reduce seconds to a simple decimal number. If the above is correct then the Earth day is 23 hours, 59 minutes and 59.9999 seconds.

On Mercaderea you have 32:64:74:28:999.9 which you say is in the form Hr:mins:sec:die:dec.micro. This is a different format to the one for Earth. What is "die" here? Again it would help to be able to express seconds as a simple decimal number.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,410 ✭✭✭old_aussie

dlouth15 wrote: »

Day on Mercaderea (rounding to the nearest second).

32 hours + 64 hours + 74 seconds = (32 * 60 * 60 s) + (64 * 60 s) + (74 s) = 119114 s
    How many Earth days make up a Mercaderea day?

Thi

Am I missing something here?

old_aussie wrote: »
    Am I missing something here?
    Sorry that should read minutes. 32 hours + 64 minutes + 74 seconds. I think the calculation is still correct.

• Advertisement

dlouth15 wrote:
    On Mercaderea you have 32:64:74:28:999.9 which you say is in the form Hr:mins:sec:die:dec.micro. This is a different format to the one for Earth. What is "die" here? Again it would help to be able to express seconds as a simple decimal number.

You have a brilliant point there. I have been working with that for a very long time. According to the language used in my book die is the abbreviated term for diesantrik which roughly means between. Don't ask me how. I built the system 8 years ago and have since forgotten how to convert it. I'll wrote back with an exact conversion. Have to sniffle through a mountain of notes. Half of which I have lost. Bare with me though.

According to my book 1Hr of McT is about 2.7Hrs ETm. If my memorii serves me right.

dlouth15 wrote:
    Sorry that should read minutes. 32 hours + 64 minutes + 74 seconds. I think the calculation is still correct.

Indeed your calculation is there about correct. I'm still a bit unclear about how it works out. Man I need a large whiteboard. I'll continue to work this conundrum out before it becomes something of a temporal paradox.

Oh my god. I got it slightly wrong. But at the same time right. That 28 in McT should be 500. Or at least 28 should go into 1000 somehow. And evenly. Anyone know how I would work that to 0pd?

Ok. I think I have determined it. 9 hours 5 minutes can't remember the seconds. No value for dieseconds 003 thousandths and .03 milisecunde longer than out day here. Or there about. I'm most likely wrong but hey. I have no value for the 28 dieseconds in McT.

Advertisement