Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network camera and privacy

Options
  • 22-08-2015 10:23am

Can someone advise me on this please? I have a Y-Cam Home Monitor webcam looking out from my bedroom window onto my front garden.

However the area where I live has facing houses very close to us. Basically I can see my neighbour across the way's garden and front door. Also people from other houses passing by my front garden are captured.

Am I doing anything unethical/illegal? As I said it's only a cheap old network camera. Nobody's complained but I have seen one neighbour staring up at it. They live far off down the road and are only captured when they pass my property.

Thank you! :)

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 24,789 Mod ✭✭✭✭KoolKid

Almost every external camera installed is going to be looking at public areas or other buildings /properties.
    We would install systems like this all the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,533 ✭✭✭kub

Op if you think you are offending your neighbours then you could tilt the camera away from those areas, at least is a quater of the picture is your window sill then you won't be upsetting anyone.

But as KK said invariably with CCTV you will pick up back ground stuff as you mentioned.

Ah great! Thanks lads. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 161 ✭✭JonJones

Can someone advise me on this please? I have a Y-Cam Home Monitor webcam looking out from my bedroom window onto my front garden.

However the area where I live has facing houses very close to us. Basically I can see my neighbour across the way's garden and front door. Also people from other houses passing by my front garden are captured.

Am I doing anything unethical/illegal? As I said it's only a cheap old network camera. Nobody's complained but I have seen one neighbour staring up at it. They live far off down the road and are only captured when they pass my property.

Thank you! :)
    Please pardon me jumping in. What is the quality like on the Y-Cam Home Monitor webcam. Could you make out a face recognise someone? Thanks

It's great during the day. However during the night if you don't know the person then it's very difficult to clearly make out their face. If you want to pm me an email address I can send you some of the sample videos.

• Advertisement

It's great during the day. However during the night if you don't know the person then it's very difficult to clearly make out their face. If you want to pm me an email address I can send you some of the sample videos.
    pm sent forgot to ask if you need to log into their network to retrieve pictures? is there a regular payment to them for that?

It's free for clips no older than 30 days. You have to login to their website with username and password to check the recorded content.

It's free for clips no older than 30 days. You have to login to their website with username and password to check the recorded content.
    thanks got that pm

Advertisement