Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'I felt a Funeral, in my Brain' - The story of my LC journey

Options
  • 22-08-2015 2:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭

With 12 days left of Summer, I feel as if it might be time to accept the perpetual doom that is the fact I am a 6th year student. Only about 290 days left to go until that dreadful day in June.

My number one goal as of now (although this could change drastically over the next few months) is Medicine in Trinity, but on top of that I'll be applying to Med everywhere else in Ireland plus Belfast, Scotland and one uni in England. I'll also apply to General Science as a back-up even though I'm not sure if I'd accept it if I didn't get Med first. :rolleyes:

My aim points-wise for the LC is as high as I can get obviously but I'd be happy with 580 and upwards. I got 570 in my Summer tests which I'm fairly happy about as it means I'm not too far off my goals.

My LC grade aims are:

Subject|Level|Summer Test Results|Aim for LC
    English|HL|A2|A2/A1
    Irish|OL|A2|A1
    Maths|HL|B2|B2
    Biology|HL|A1|A1
    Chemistry|HL|B1|A1
    Physics|HL|A1|A1
    App Maths|HL|B1|A1
    Business|HL|A2|A1
    French|OL|B1|A2

I feel with a bit of hard work my aims are definitely possible for me. Also I know that adds up to 605 points which is slightly above 580 (:p) but I'm not 100% certain I could get those points but sure why not aim high? :pac:

Anyways, so I guess I'll try to use this as a study log to motivate and keep track of my studying throughout the year. Best of Luck to everyone! :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭Consonata

*slow clap* I love the title :')

• Registered Users Posts: 3,232 ✭✭✭Bazinga_N

Consonata wrote: »
    *slow clap* I love the title :')
    I knew it was meant to be the second I read the Dickinson poem :pac: :D

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

What's it like doing nine subjects? I would have loved to have done more but I was seriously bogged down with the 7 I did. I don't think that I could have handled any more without detrimentally affecting my performance in the others.

A97 wrote: »
    What's it like doing nine subjects? I would have loved to have done more but I was seriously bogged down with the 7 I did. I don't think that I could have handled any more without detrimentally affecting my performance in the others.

Well tbh it really only feels like I'm doing 7/8 subjects since two of my subjects are at OL. I've always been really good at Irish so being able to do it at OL means it's simple for me. It honestly only takes minimal effort. I'm only taking French to pass it for matriculation so it's not really any hassle either.

I love science so doing 3 (4 if you include App Maths) science subjects is quite nice because it means I get to study subjects I actually enjoy learning about which is great! That takes a lot of the pressure of doing 9 subjects off!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

Love the title :D

If anyone wants to change their thread title, PM me and I might get around to it later.

• Advertisement

Had my first day of school today and it really wore me out :p Summer made me forget how long and straining school days can be! I only just about managed to get my Biology and Chemistry homework done this evening! My timetable hasn't been properly sorted yet so I'll probably need a few days before I properly get started studying!

I'll make a start with some study tomorrow though! :eek:

Finally got around to doing some actual work today :P

Biology: Revised the Sexual Reproduction Chapter and did some Exam Questions
    Maths: Revised Complex Numbers
    Chemistry: Made notes on Oxidation & Reduction
    Business: Made notes on Business Expansion and revised the earlier stuff in the chapter from before summer
    UKCAT: Went through the introduction section to AR in the 600 Questions Book

Happy with what I got done today considering I could barely do anything yesterday :pac:

Today's Work:

French: Made notes on Adjectives, Possessive Adjectives and Adverbs
    Chemistry: Continued notes on Oxidation & Reduction
    Biology: Made notes on Reproduction in Plants
    Maths: Started notes on Functions and did some revision question on Statistics I
    Irish: Revised a Sraith Pictuir

Got a good bit done this weekend:

French: Made notes on Personal Pronouns and Relative Pronouns also revised my Oral answer for school and my plans for next year.
    Physics: Made some notes on Static Electricity
    Maths: Finished the revision questions on Statistics I and continued my notes on Functions.
    English: Invested in SAT vocabulary flash cards that have a thousand high level vocabulary words. Gonna try to learn ten each week :p
    Irish: Fixed a few of my Irish Sraith Pictuir notes so they're slightly better.
    Applied Maths: Did some revision of Uniform Acceleration
    UCKAT: Did some practice questions from each section (Still finding the maths and abstract reasoning kinda tough)!
    UCAS: Finally finished my personal statement :D Just need my English teacher to read over it and give me any tips/advice with it.

Also got three new matches on Tinder so all in all, a great weekend ;)

Forgot to post yesterday's :o

French: Revised Prepositions
    Maths: Did some revision questions on Statistics II
    Business: Finished my notes on Business Expansion and did an exam question
    English: Learned some new vocab words and made a plan for a Question B

• Advertisement

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    Got a good bit done this weekend:
    Also got three new matches on Tinder so all in all, a great weekend ;)

Got your priorities right I see ;)

Since we are going down similar paths, I was wondering what you were doing revision wise this Mid Term

I reeeeeeeeaally neglected completely forgot it even existed this study-log last year :rolleyes: Anyways, here I am repeating which I'm just ecstatic about. I got 510 last year which means I missed out on my first two choices which it turned out were the only two choices I actually wanted. :o So this year I've decided to give it a better go. I've been accepted to a repeat program at a Further Education College which is a bit easier than going back to my old school I guess and also everyone in my year will be in the same boat as myself which will be nice.

My aim is 580 this year (I know that was my aim at the start of last year too but I left that aim go before my pres even came around :P) so that I'll have enough for Law & Political Science in TCD. My second choice is Law with Politics in UCD and my third is Economics, Politics and Law in DCU.

My subjects will be slightly changing this year. I'll be doing the following:

Subject|Grade in the LC Round 1
    Irish|B1 (HL)
    Maths|A1 (OL)
    French|C2 (HL)
    Business|A2 (HL)
    Physics & Chemistry|Phys - A2, Chem - B2 (HL both)
    Biology|B1 (HL)
    English|B2 (HL)
    Geography|n/a

So yeah, I'm dropping Physics and Chemistry as separate subjects and I'm gonna do the combined course instead. It just looks like it'll suit me better tbh. I won't be doing PhysChem in school though as my school doesn't offer it. So I'll just plough through it at home, taking what I need from my notes from last year using the syllabus.

I'll be doing honours maths this year too instead of ordinary. Dropping down has been and will always remain one of the biggest regrets of my life.

I'm not certain I'll be doing English yet and with Geography as a back-up subject I'm not sure I even need it. I definitely won't be doing it in school though because I couldn't handle my teacher picking texts/poets that wouldn't suit me and what I did last year :rolleyes: I'm gonna spend a few weeks trying English on my own and if it doesn't look like it's going well after the October Mid-Term I'll probably drop it altogether.

I'll be picking up Geography new as my school has a class of Geography for people who haven't done it previously so I thought it would be a nice subject to take instead of English in school. Plus I'd love to have a project since none of my other subjects have one!

So yeah, that's me back at it again. I really hope I actually use my study-log this time around. I don't officially start school until the 14th of September so there won't be much on here until then. I'll probably start getting stuck into things around the 12th of September though! Best of luck to everyone doing the Leaving Cert this year! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭lundrum

Good luck! I've seen you around in the forums and you seem really cool so I hope you get what you need this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 261 ✭✭carefulnowted

Best of luck Bazinga!

Bazinga_N wrote: »
    I reeeeeeeeaally neglected completely forgot it even existed this study-log last year :rolleyes: Anyways, here I am repeating which I'm just ecstatic about. I got 510 last year which means I missed out on my first two choices which it turned out were the only two choices I actually wanted. :o So this year I've decided to give it a better go. I've been accepted to a repeat program at a Further Education College which is a bit easier than going back to my old school I guess and also everyone in my year will be in the same boat as myself which will be nice.

My aim is 580 this year (I know that was my aim at the start of last year too but I left that aim go before my pres even came around :P) so that I'll have enough for Law & Political Science in TCD. My second choice is Law with Politics in UCD and my third is Economics, Politics and Law in DCU.

My subjects will be slightly changing this year. I'll be doing the following:

Subject|Grade in the LC Round 1
    Irish|B1 (HL)
    Maths|A1 (OL)
    French|C2 (HL)
    Business|A2 (HL)
    Physics & Chemistry|Phys - A2, Chem - B2 (HL both)
    Biology|B1 (HL)
    English|B2 (HL)
    Geography|n/a

So yeah, I'm dropping Physics and Chemistry as separate subjects and I'm gonna do the combined course instead. It just looks like it'll suit me better tbh. I won't be doing PhysChem in school though as my school doesn't offer it. So I'll just plough through it at home, taking what I need from my notes from last year using the syllabus.

I'll be doing honours maths this year too instead of ordinary. Dropping down has been and will always remain one of the biggest regrets of my life.

I'm not certain I'll be doing English yet and with Geography as a back-up subject I'm not sure I even need it. I definitely won't be doing it in school though because I couldn't handle my teacher picking texts/poets that wouldn't suit me and what I did last year :rolleyes: I'm gonna spend a few weeks trying English on my own and if it doesn't look like it's going well after the October Mid-Term I'll probably drop it altogether.

I'll be picking up Geography new as my school has a class of Geography for people who haven't done it previously so I thought it would be a nice subject to take instead of English in school. Plus I'd love to have a project since none of my other subjects have one!

So yeah, that's me back at it again. I really hope I actually use my study-log this time around. I don't officially start school until the 14th of September so there won't be much on here until then. I'll probably start getting stuck into things around the 12th of September though! Best of luck to everyone doing the Leaving Cert this year! :)

Preaching to the choir. My study log died a death last year, planning on really using it this year though.

• Registered Users Posts: 390 ✭✭A97

Good luck! If you work hard, I'm sure that you'll succeed this year.

Advertisement