Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Year Accommodation

Options
  • 21-08-2015 5:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

Hi everyone,

We are getting closer to the start of semester and I haven't got my accommodation sorted yet.

I'm an incoming first year and was wondering if anyone knows of any places that aren't booked up as I've applied for most of the big places near UL.

If anyone as anything,please let me know as I'm desperate at this stage.

Thanks,
    Josh

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14 anita12345

My son is in the same situation as Josh so would appreciate any information on first year accommodation.
    Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

Hey there,

Since I'm pretty sure the on-campus accommodation is booked up, you could always try Troy, Groody Student Park and Brookfield. I am pretty sure Brookfield often has places left but I couldn't guarantee that since the past two years UL has had an increase in not only first years but international students too, who tend to go to Brookfield.

I would still try calling these three places in the off chance they have somewhere.

The next step would be to try rent.ie and daft.ie, go to sharing and choose castletroy. These will be students needing someone to fill up a room!
    The most student places off-campus are Elm Park, Milford Grange and College Court. You can also try Oak Lawns and Briarfield (Briarfield is a lot quieter).

I'd say try them places and you may find something! Just be prepared as some of these houses can be a lot lower quality than on-campus and other villages but you can get lucky and find some nice places :D

Hope this helps!

Thanks for all that info. I've tried Groody, Troy and all other off campus student apartments but they are all full. Also tried Rent.ie and Daft.ie and they are either full or won't take 1st years. I'm still clinging onto the hope that he'll get a cancellation on campus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 747 ✭✭✭Aragneer

anita12345 wrote: »
    Thanks for all that info. I've tried Groody, Troy and all other off campus student apartments but they are all full. Also tried Rent.ie and Daft.ie and they are either full or won't take 1st years. I'm still clinging onto the hope that he'll get a cancellation on campus.

I'm sorry to hear you're not having a lot of luck!
    Unfortunately, I wouldn't hold much hope for a cancellation on campus. Last year, there were very few cancellations as the amount of internationals and first years really loaded it up. Plus with orientation next week, it'd be tough waiting around.

You could call the accommodation office in UL and ask them for a list of landlord numbers? Or you could try finding a group of students (3 or 4 more) and look at the 'to rent' part of rent.ie??

I'm sorry I can't help more and I hope you can find some suitable accommodation for him!

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Joshsjmcd

Thanks for all that information Aragneer,was a big help.
    Was delighted to get offered accommodation at Thomond village today.

anita12345,I would suggest Thomond to try,it is 30 minutes off campus but has a shuttle bus run to UL each day and good facilities.Hope you find something.

• Advertisement

Great I'll try that thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 bozzer198

Anyone out there have 2 spare rooms to rent for 2 first year students who cannot find any accommodation close to the campus. Most landlords will not rent to 1st years or the ones that will want a 1 year contract signed by us. Any help is must appreciated.

If you haven't already done so join the UL Freshers 15/16 page on Facebook, you might get something on that.

Advertisement