Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accept job offer?

Options
  • 21-08-2015 1:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I was made redundant a few weeks ago and have been looking for another job since.
    I've received a job offer but the starting salary is only 2/3 what I was on previously and there are no benefits- previously I had company car, company phone, health insurance, etc which all adds up and now I will be paying for all this stuff myself which will eat into my pay (I have a medical condition that costs 50 euro a month to manage, for example).
    It's also a long commute and I'm not in a position to move.

It's a brilliant company and seems like a great place to work but money will be really really tight and even if I get promoted I will still be struggling.

I don't know what to do. Should I hold off in the hope of a better offer or is a bird in the hand worth two in the bush? They want me to start ASAP.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,764 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

How does it stack up compared to other job offers you have received? Not ones you might receive, ones you actually have.

IMHO take it, and if you get a a better offer elsewhere later, change jobs again.

Oh- and have you tried negotiating on salary? I'd almost never accept an employer's first offer.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,515 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Take the job.
    Your not tied for life but having income is a priority.
    Keep looking if you expect better.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭skallywag

I agree what the others have said, in particular on trying to argue for a better salary. In general you will never have anything to lose by asking for better compensation.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,577 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I would take it.

Give yourself a limit of 6 months or a year where if you feel that the job is going nowhere you can move on. You can always be doing interviews while you take the new job should something better come up.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

Have you asked them about increasing their offer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Hello everyone, OP here :)
    I did ask them about increasing the offer but their pay is all graded and the salary I'm getting is the standard for the level and role I'm entering at (it's private sector by the way).

I decided to follow your advice and accept the offer, it could be months til I get another and don't want to annihilate my savings in the meantime.

Advertisement