Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Athenry Mart photos

Options
  • 21-08-2015 11:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Here's some photos from my first visit to Athenry Mart. I've found that people don't post up photos in their own thread that much any more, don't know why but I know that I enjoy(ed) looking through someone's series of photos. Maybe people feel they shouldn't create a thread just 'for me' or they don't want c&c but I'd wish people would post more.

While these photos aren't stunning I'm happy with most of them, tried to capture the people more than the cattle as the people are the heart of the mart.
    C&C welcome

Athenry-Mart-2.jpg

Athenry-Mart-4.jpg

Athenry-Mart-3.jpg

Athenry-Mart-5.jpg

Athenry-Mart-7.jpg

Athenry-Mart-6.jpg

Cheers,
    Pa

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,983 ✭✭✭mystic86

I'll reply if you promise to reply to a reply that you have requested, for a change... :p

• Registered Users Posts: 8,114 ✭✭✭dinneenp

mystic86 wrote: »
    I'll reply if you promise to reply to a reply that you have requested, for a change... :p

I've read this a few times but don't get you... If I reply to a reply I requested?

dinneenp wrote: »
    I've read this a few times but don't get you... If I reply to a reply I requested?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96441875

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95535011

In my opinion, if you don't come back and express gratitude for people taking the time to sit down and type something out for you then I don't know what the incentive is for them to continue to do so?

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=96441875

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=95535011

In my opinion, if you don't come back and express gratitude for people taking the time to sit down and type something out for you then I don't know what the incentive is for them to continue to do so?

Ok, I get you now. Normally I say to myself that I'll wait until there's a few replies and then reply to them all at once but probably forget.

I'll start doing it

• Registered Users Posts: 6,182 ✭✭✭Tiriel

They seem somehow soft? I'm not too sure about the colour either - seems to be a funny cast, but maybe it's the white-balance needs to be adjusted? Do you know what you had it set to?

• Advertisement

Tiriel wrote: »
    They seem somehow soft? I'm not too sure about the colour either - seems to be a funny cast, but maybe it's the white-balance needs to be adjusted? Do you know what you had it set to?

I'm having doubts about the sharpness of my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens.
    The colour could be down to two things- I've noticed lately photos on my laptop look slightly different than when printed/on other monitors- there's more redness/saturation when not looking on my laptop.

It could also be the PP in Picasa- I put a slight 60's colour on them.

Cheers,
    Pa

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Do you use a calibrator at all?
    I'd imagine it might be down to the 60's colour but the white balance needs to go down a good bit, going by my eye.

Effects wrote: »
    Do you use a calibrator at all?
    I'd imagine it might be down to the 60's colour but the white balance needs to go down a good bit, going by my eye.

Hi. No, don't use one. I've vaguely heard about them, will have to look into it. cheers.

what kind of shutter speed were you using?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Pa, I'm curious how they reacted to you taking photos of them :) Look at shot number 4, you seem to be getting some dirty looks and one of them pointing at you I see.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Whammy!

dinneenp wrote: »
    I'm having doubts about the sharpness of my Tamron 17-50 f2.8 lens.

The softness of the photos could be down to a few reasons.
    The shutter speed may be a factor (camera shake?).
    Also using too high of an ISO setting (especially combined with noise reduction) may be a contributing factor.
    Are you shooting RAW or jpeg?
    It could also be your sharpening process or the lens (or both).
    What f-stop are you using on the lens and have you cropped the photos much?

kelly1 wrote: »
    Pa, I'm curious how they reacted to you taking photos of them :) Look at shot number 4, you seem to be getting some dirty looks and one of them pointing at you I see.

They didn't mind at all (or else I didn't notice). Most of them ignored me but not in a 'feck off' way. One of two even smiled when I pointed the camera near them. Maybe because there was the art exhibition on display in one of the rings they're a bit used to 'non-farmers' visiting in recent times...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,258 ✭✭✭swingking

looking at the EXIF on the photos I can see that you are using ISO 800 for the photos and getting speeds of 1/160 second.

I reckon you could probably drop the lower and still get a fast enough shutter speed. The fastest you need at 50mm is about 1/80 second so you you could drop the ISO by a full stop. This will definitely improve the quality.

swingking wrote: »
    looking at the EXIF on the photos I can see that you are using ISO 800 for the photos and getting speeds of 1/160 second.

I reckon you could probably drop the lower and still get a fast enough shutter speed. The fastest you need at 50mm is about 1/80 second so you you could drop the ISO by a full stop. This will definitely improve the quality.

What's the f stop?!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,676 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to be honest, there's not a lot of interest in the photos. too many wide shots (which are fine for establishing shots, but about half of the shots above are too wide); and there is that issue mentioned above where they look a bit bleached.

swingking wrote: »
    The fastest you need at 50mm is about 1/80 second so you you could drop the ISO by a full stop. This will definitely improve the quality.

I definitely disagree with this, he is moving, the people are moving, unless it's a wide angle lens I certainly wouldn't go under 1/120 or whatever the closest is upwards of that.

Does you lens have VR

Also that white balance is off, shooting raw? You mentioned somewhere about using Picasa, try using Gimp or something?

Tiriel wrote: »
    What's the f stop?!

way too slow a shutter speed for that focal length?

IQIuhsd.png

Athenry-Mart-7.jpg

way too slow a shutter speed for that focal length?

Looks like it was pretty dark so he's done well to get what he has. It explains the softness though, taken at f3.2 and ISO that high with 1.50 of a sec.. it's not ideal at all. That combined with Picasa, which in my opinion makes most pictures softer than any other software even with its sharpening applied, explains a lot.

Thanks for the comments.

- I bought LR desktop but had issues with laptop so got a refund. Will purchase and install it in the near future

- I agree 1/50 is too slow a shutter speed (even with Pentax in-built body stabilization).

- the location wasn't as interesting for photos as I thought it would be; cows in the ring (not an interesting subject) and farmers standing around. The auctioneer was very vocal but no grand hand gestures.

- too many wide shots- I presume you mean width/amount in the photo and not aperture? If so as above the location wasn't that exciting/interesting. I wanted a few of the entire scene and thought the rest of the farmers would be the most interesting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement