Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

App Development

Options
  • 21-08-2015 9:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭

I'm going to be developing an app to fit in with an existing website, the app will be for Android, iOS and Windows phones.

It's my first time going the app route and was looking for advice on the best IDE's like should I use the Android studio or should I use the Android SDK with Netbeans as I already use Netbeans for PHP/Java development.

Really just looking for advice on the recommended IDEs/set-ups for a first time app developer and also any good guides on setting up a basic app in each respective area, I've had a look at the Android dev site and it is very informative.

The apps. wont be too complex, they will have a splash screen, login screen via a website call and then call a webservice once logged in for now.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,556 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

Android: Android Studio.
    iOS: Xcode
    Windows Phone: Visual Studio [Community|Professional|Enterprise].

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

It really depends on the functionality you require, but on the face of it - an app extension for a Web site for multiple devices - a hybrid solution may be the best thing for you.

This may be anything between a browser automatically going to an external mobile optimized Web site with a native 'wrapper' to something a bit more complex put together with JavaScript and HTML5, via PhoneGap or similar.

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Android: Android Studio.
    iOS: Xcode
    Windows Phone: Visual Studio [Community|Professional|Enterprise].

This approach requires maintaining three codebases.

If the app is simple use one of the frameworks that allows you to reuse code across all three platforms.

The Corinthian mentioned one above, and Xamarin is another.

true, but if it's only a couple of screens it might be best to go native (can upskill and learn how to develop for iOS/Android/WP). Sure a web app might be quicker if you have the necessary skills but from my experience writing hybrid apps is never as easy as they make it out to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭MyPeopleDrankTheSoup

don't bother with Windows phone. just don't

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,987 ✭✭✭Ziycon

Thanks for all the help/advice guys, greatly appreciated.
    don't bother with Windows phone. just don't
    It's a simple enough app. so keeping reach as big as possible regardless of Windows being popular or not. :D

true, but if it's only a couple of screens it might be best to go native (can upskill and learn how to develop for iOS/Android/WP). Sure a web app might be quicker if you have the necessary skills but from my experience writing hybrid apps is never as easy as they make it out to be.
    TBH, "if it's only a couple of screens", then a multi-platform code base is still going to be easier to develop and maintain that getting up to speed on two or more native platforms or hiring the resources to develop and maintain them.

oh totally, just depends how much the OP would like to learn or if they have the resources to learn valuable new skills.

oh totally, just depends how much the OP would like to learn or if they have the resources to learn valuable new skills.
    Doesn't change that two or more native apps will use up more resources than one hybrid app, which is the opposite of what you suggested.

Appreciated all the help, I have the Windows and Android app written and in testing and working on the Apple one now.

Another question I've been unable to find a definitive answer to is, is it possible to install apps on the three platforms in a 'hidden' mode or is it possible to protect an app from being removed from a device?

• Advertisement

Ziycon wrote: »
    Another question I've been unable to find a definitive answer to is, is it possible to install apps on the three platforms in a 'hidden' mode or is it possible to protect an app from being removed from a device?
    Short answer is no.

Longer answer is that this is, in part, OS dependent and most likely, in all cases, something that would have to be installed as the root user - i.e. your app would probably have to be installed by the manufacturer or operator, like those bloatware apps that come with most smartphones. Otherwise no.

• Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I would suspect that such an app is bound to breach some sort of T+C or rule in each of the app stores.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

awec wrote: »
    I would suspect that such an app is bound to breach some sort of T+C or rule in each of the app stores.

Pretty sure its impossible on iOS unless jail broken in which case as you say you will not be able to distribute it from the app store.

On Android it needs to be a first party app signed by either Google or one of the device manufacturers I believe, again if rooted I believe it is possible but again you may not be able to distribute it from the Play store.

Windows I don't know but would assume the same safe guards are likely in place.

On top of the technical issues, having an app a user can't uninstall really irritates users.

Ziycon asked for two options:
    • That the app is protected from being uninstalled, or
    • that the app is 'hidden'
    The first would require that it is installed under root permissions (jailbroken in Apple-speak), as with the bloatware you will typically get with new phones. For this you'd need to get in bed with the operator or manufacturer. Bare in mind that even then it could still be removed if the user rooted/jailbroke their device.

The second depends on the OS. Both iOS and Android appear to have means of doing this, however I suspect that, as has been suggested, this would likely break some rule or other and cause one's app to get banned from their respective store. Given this there may be exceptions to this rule (e.g. that the user must first give explicit permission), as I could see such functionality being useful to child monitoring apps, for example.

As none of us have a definitive answer to this, I suspect it's up to Ziycon to read the various T&C's and determine this for himself.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

You could also do this with the likes of mobile iron or other MDM if the devices are under your control -- i.e. employees, which I suspect the main reason for not wanting to allow users to 'uninstall it'.

Any other reason you'd want to stop someone 'uninstalling' an app would have to be something very integral to the operating system or manufacturer eco system.

@Ziycon -- give us some more info as to why/use cases of 'hidden' and 'not to be uninstalled'?

colm_c wrote: »
    @Ziycon -- give us some more info as to why/use cases of 'hidden' and 'not to be uninstalled'?

Like you said it's a website/app used by companies and would want it to be a case that the apps couldn't be uninstalled by the employee as there company phones, it's around monitoring data usage and restricting sharing of certain file types over the device.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Like you said it's a website/app used by companies and would want it to be a case that the apps couldn't be uninstalled by the employee as there company phones, it's around monitoring data usage and restricting sharing of certain file types over the device.

colm_c is spot on with the MDM suggestion. They typically allow an organisation to control and lock-down most aspects of a phones configuration/operation including the apps.

It's basically a provisioning issue - technically it's possible, it's just a case of managing it at a supply chain level. All I can say is I did this on a global level for a certain operator once upon the time and they do facilitate it, but you'll still have to make the deals and manage it at your end.

Advertisement